DESE is looking for interns for the Fall, Spring, and Summer!
As a graphic design intern at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, you will be responsible for helping to communicate the success and progress of Massachusetts public schools. Graphic design is an essential part of our messaging campaigns and will allow you to gain hands-on skills in an area of high impact for the state. Previous and ongoing campaigns include Teach Mass and Deeper Learning.
- Design Microsoft Office templates (PowerPoint, Word) for DESE’s internal and external communication
- Support the communication team by designing MailChimp templates, monthly newsletters, and logos
- Create mockups for website redesigns and support the team with icon designs and image editing
- Design print ads, posters, and handouts
- Help provide creative designs for DESE’s social media pages and other digital advertising efforts
Desired skills and background:
- Major in Design, Advertising, Marketing, or a related field
- Experience with logo and print design
- Solid and strong portfolio with a clean and creative design style
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas through sketches and verbal presentations
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and passionate attitude
- Experience with HTML a plus
Benefits of working at DESE:
- Gain hands-on experience and develop industry skills
- Learn how to work in a team and collaborate with others
- Participate in key decision-making meetings and activities that impact the entire state
- Build your resume and professional network
- Receive feedback at the end of the internship to support your career
- Enjoy flexible hours and the option of working remotely
DESE’s expectations for YOU:
- You have relevant experience and the desired skill sets
- You are an active thinker and like to share your thoughts and opinions
- You are good at time management and multitasking
- You can quickly adapt to new work environments
- You are a self-starter and team player
- You can commit at least 10 hours a week
Equal opportunity employment:
DESE’s employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Parking and transportation:
From the T: take the Orange Line and get off at the Malden Center stop. DESE is a 5-minute walk from the station.
Parking is available both at the CBD Garage and Jackson Street Garage. The parking lot next to DESE is limited to 2-hour parking.