Fall Linguistics/Translation Internship
Imagine you tried to drink a bottle of water, but the cap was still sealed tightly.You couldn’t drink anything! That is exactly what it is like for people who don’t have access to the Bible in their own language.
As a supported* linguistics and translation intern, you will use your skills to advance Bible translation!
Today, over 2000 people groups still don’t have the Bible translated into their languages! Wycliffe believes the Word of God can transform lives when people encounter it in their own language or form.
Whether you’re looking to earn college credit, explore missions for your future, or just make a difference in the world right now, we’d love to talk with you!
Just as God has gifted you with a unique set of passions and skills, we have a unique internship for you! Each of our internships is crafted to best fit your interests while meeting essential needs around the world. No two are alike!
“I wanted to do something I really cared about in a field where I would learn a lot, in an environment I’ve never experienced before. I wanted both professional and spiritual growth happening side by side. And that has been here! I love the relationships and connections I’ve made with other people.” —Elizabeth, 2019 photography intern
Where might you work?
We have internship openings everywhere from the US to Asia, Europe, the Pacific, and South and Central America, as well as even remote options for some roles.
What might you do?
Every day is different! One day you might participate in a Bible translation consultant check, or engage with a local translation team as they test Scripture portions or stories with the local community. Later you may teach English to the translation team, build dictionaries, collect wordlists, complete phonological research, and assist with literacy workshops. You could help format Scripture booklets for local publishing, build a literacy app or even write a technical linguistics paper! Later you will sit down for tea or coffee with a missionary (or two), get to hear stories and lessons learned, as you consider how your future might connect with mission work.
This job might be for you if…
- You demonstrate the desire and ability to support corporate Biblical and religious goals and participate in regular work-related spiritual activities without reservation (Spiritual Bona Fide Occupational Qualification)
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have an active walk with God.
- You are flexible and work well with people.
- You have some knowledge of linguistics.
It’s a bonus if…
- You have previous multicultural experience.You have or are working towards a degree in Linguistics.
- You are familiar with the IPA phonetic alphabet.
- You are interested in long term linguistic or translation work.
All you need to know:
- Dates: Internships can start at almost any time of the year, though Stateside summer internships usually run from early June to mid-August
- Duration: Between 3 months to 1 year
- Cost: Dependent on location and length of internship
- Application Deadline: 3 months before intended start date
For more information visit https://www.wycliffe.org/internship
*ABOUT SUPPORTED POSITIONS
Supported staff (missionaries) with Wycliffe Bible Translators USA are members of a faith-based organization. If you become an intern, you will receive training and helpful tools to raise a team of prayer and financial partners in ministry; the gifts given to the preference of your ministry account provide for your salary, benefits and ministry-related expenses.
If you have questions about this job, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.