Provide nursing care to individuals with co-occurring disorders (mental illness and substance use disorders) in residential treatment programs. Provide proactive care to achieve steady continuous improvement in health, maximize individuals’ recovery, avoid medication errors, reduce rates of infection and promote health-related activities.
MA registered nurse and a minimum of one year’s experience in psychiatric nursing and substance use disorders treatment experience. Must have skills in client assessment, including intoxication and withdrawal from substances, serious mental illness, change in psychiatric status, physical health and safety. MS Office proficiency and EHR competency.
- Ensure that all prescriptions are submitted into EHR upon receipt.
- Count/record medications upon delivery; if another staff member receives the medications, ensure that they have been counted and recorded properly.
- Complete client specific sheet when new medications are delivered.
- Check Medication Cart/Room weekly to ensure there are no expired medications and that there are sufficient medications for a minimum of five days. Order as needed.
- Review and log all control substances. Review the log for control substances at a minimum of once a week to ensure compliance and validate count.
- In collaboration with medical staff, discontinue medications when indicated by prescribing physician.
- Ensure the Medication Room/Cart is clean and orderly, and that all supplies are sufficient.
- Order medical supplies as needed.
- Ensure that all signatures are on the medical record prior to the first administration each month; file medical record documentation monthly.