What You’ll Do
As a Middle School Math/Science Teacher at Veritas Prep, you’ll lead one classroom of around 27 students with your co-advisor, an ELA/History Teacher. You’ll plan and teach lessons in math and science, ensuring that every student has the knowledge and skills to access grade-level standards and work. You’ll partner with your co-advisor to build a strong classroom community, where students feel safe, seen, included, and able to reach their lofty goals. Your coach will observe you weekly or biweekly and give you feedback that will help you become a better teacher.
You will also:
- Build knowledge in your content area and be prepared for every class with high-quality, effective lessons
- Be an active participant in your content planning team with other Math/Science teachers in the building to improve the quality of instructional materials
- Learn and use school-wide routines that help our school run smoothly and keep the focus on teaching and learning
- Use data to make decisions and to support the growth of our students in the classroom and during daily tutoring
- Teach students valuable social-emotional skills and embed this skill-building into your lessons and daily interactions
- Build deep relationships and actively partner and communicate with parents and families
- Engage in learning about racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in education
- Work as a team with teachers, staff, and leaders to support students
What You’ll Need (Qualifications)
- An unwavering belief that all students can achieve amazing things
- A passion for continuous growth as an educator
- A dedication to fighting racism in our educational institutions and in daily life and knowledge of the history of race and racism, as well as the systems of oppression our students face
- One to two years of teaching experience (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Have or be eligible for a MA teaching license in Middle School Math/Science or Math (5-8) AND General Science (5-8)
- SEI endorsement within one year of employment
- Current authorization to work in the United States – a candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
Wondering if you should apply? Are you passionate about giving every child access to an education that will prepare them for wherever life takes them? Have you been thinking about a career change? Do you have experience working with children? Are you a life-long learner who thrives on feedback? If you answered yes, you should apply!
Think you don’t quite meet all the qualifications listed above? Apply anyway! We are looking for a truly diverse team of educators, and research shows that historically marginalized groups are less likely to apply if they do not meet every requirement. We are working to become an anti-racist organization and want to recruit and support a diverse staff, to understand the history of inequity in education, and to ensure students see teachers, staff, and leaders who look like them working in their schools.
Still not sure? Set up a call with a recruiter by emailing email@example.com.
Veritas Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other status or condition protected by applicable law. This policy extends to, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, training, and termination.
About Veritas Prep
Veritas Prep Charter School (VPCS) was founded in Springfield in 2012 with the mission to prepare students in grades 5-8 to compete, achieve, and succeed in high school, college, and beyond. VPCS now serves more than 370 Springfield students and is one of Massachusetts’ top-performing middle schools. Building on the success of VPCS, Friends of Veritas Prep partnered with the Holyoke Public Schools, launching Veritas Prep Holyoke (VPH) in 2018 as part of Holyoke’s innovative turnaround efforts. VPH is a neighborhood enrollment school currently serving grades 5, 6, and 7 and growing one grade per year through grade 8.
We are excited to develop a high school for our Springfield scholars which is tentatively scheduled to launch in the fall of 2022 with 100 students in Grade 9, and ultimately, serving roughly 350 students in grades 9-12.
Veritas Prep schools provide a college prep curriculum in a safe, positive, and rigorous learning environment that allows students to thrive both academically and socially. Our educators believe in expecting the best from every student and in the power of building strong relationships with students and families, creating a community that supports the achievement of all. To learn more about Veritas Prep and the close-knit academic community of teachers and scholars in Springfield and Holyoke, check out this video and visit veritasprepma.org.