Math Teacher (SY21-22 Prospective Vacancy)
Grade Level: Middle School
Start Date: August 1, 2021
Locations: Various (Boston and Lawrence, MA)
About UP Education Network
UP Education Network operates five schools in Boston and Lawrence, MA, and serves more than 2,500 elementary and middle school students. UP is invited by local school districts to restart chronically underperforming district schools as UP Academies. Each UP Academy shares the same mission: to ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential.
Teaching at UP Education Network
Lead Teachers are full-time members of the school staff. All lead teachers have regular duties in the course of the day that may include lunch duty, arrival and dismissal duty, recess duty and or hallway coverage. UP Academy teachers work with a team of diverse colleagues to develop rigorous curricula, deliver engaging lessons, and support all students on the path to and through college. This is a general teaching application for prospective vacancies across all subjects and grades.
Desired Skills and Characteristics of an UP Teacher
- A deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them
- A growth mindset and commitment to receiving and implementing feedback
- A capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges
- A strong belief in UP Education Network’s core values: Students, Community, Humility, Resilience, and Humor
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
- A valid Massachusetts Teaching License and SEI endorsement is preferred
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
Working at UP Education Network
We know that great staff members directly lead to the success of our students. At UP, your career is shaped by:
- Opportunities for immediate impact: UP offers a chance to bring best practices found in high-performing schools to students previously enrolled in struggling schools, and to rapidly unlock the potential of these students
- Talented, mission-driven colleagues: Our staff is enthusiastic, dedicated, and willing to do “whatever it takes” to put every student on the path to college
- Collaboration and teamwork: Staff members collaborate and work closely together on grade-level or content area teams, using data to track student performance as well as guide instructional practice
- Consistent professional growth and development: Members of our staff typically have bi-weekly check-in meetings with their managers where they receive targeted coaching and support. The entire staff participates in weekly professional development sessions during the school year, kick-started by extensive training in August.
Compensation and Benefits
UP Academy follows the salary scales and salary placement policies of each UP Academy’s host school district or state turnaround plan; please see the relevant union’s collective bargaining agreement for additional details. As an employee of UP Academy and your respective school district, you will receive the same access to personal and sick days, health insurance, and dental insurance as others within your union.
If you’re interested in this job, and want to apply for interview consideration, read this first:
Stockton STRONGLY recommends that you…
…upload a customized resume that is tailored for this specific job opportunity.
…include a Cover Letter (optional) with your Resume, which is also customized for this specific job opportunity. Students who submit cover letters get selected for more interviews!
- If including a Cover Letter (optional): Save it as an individual PDF file, and then read the “NOTE” below!
…include a digital portfolio if you have one (optional). If you have one, you could:
- Put the URL of your portfolio in your resume (if it’s hosted online and accessible via a URL) as a clickable hyperlink in the header underneath your name.
- and/or, save your entire portfolio as an individual PDF file, and then read the “NOTE” below!
NOTE: Resumes are required to apply, but you can only attach one document in this application. So, if you want to include a Portfolio with your Cover Letter and Resume, you must combine your PDF files for each item into one final PDF document containing your Cover Letter, Resume, and Portfolio (in that order!). Here’s an easy tool to help you do that.
…save your final PDF document using this format: “[Lastname], [Firstname] – [School] Application” (i.e. Smith, Jason – Middle Township Application). Then, upload that single PDF document into Handshake and attach it to the application when you get to the “Attach Your Resume” step.
WHEN YOU’RE READY TO APPLY:
1) Click “Apply” on this page
- Either: (Screenshot – “A”) Select an application file if it’s already uploaded into Handshake.
- Or: (Screenshot – “B”) Upload a new PDF of your application file.
3) Finally, click “Submit Application”