Under the direction of the Manager, Financial Data and Analysis, the Financial Analyst I uses an understanding of accounting concepts and accounting practices to assist with a variety of complex assignments, including analysis of data that requires a review of factors across modules and from multiple sources, and exercises judgment to suggest appropriate action.
- Work independently and collaboratively as part of a team; ability to exchange ideas, information, and opinions with others to reach solutions.
- Prioritize workload to meet deadlines in an environment of multiple projects and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other members at UMass President’s Office and the campus locations and to respond positively and proactively to customer service needs.
- Assist in preparation of financial transactions such as journal entries, ensure correct coding of data and identify data anomalies with a high degree of accuracy.
- Present information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Support the preparation of the University quarterly financial reporting package and annual University financial statements. Assist with preparation of work papers, footnote disclosures and fluctuation analyses.
- Assist with performing reconciliations, close processes, research and analyses. Identify financial issues which may span multiple areas; recognize exceptions, identify underlying issues, research possible solutions, offer recommendations.
- Gather and analyze financial information using queries, spreadsheets, databases and other reporting tools for trend analysis, forecasts and financial ratios.
- Assist in analysis of existing systems and processes, identifying process improvement opportunities and improved internal controls opportunities.
- Maintain databases in multiple financial modules and identify areas for additional accuracy or efficiency.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, or equivalent.
- Proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office; including Excel skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.
- Knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems preferred.
- Knowledge of audit and internal control standards preferred.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the ability to interpret and apply advanced and complex accounting rules preferred.
- Typical office environment.
- Requires occasional in-state travel to the President’s Office in Boston, the campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and Worcester.
Salary range $47,000 to $57,000.