Reporting to the Director of Employee and Labor Relations, the Diversity and Employee Development Specialist provides organizational and logistical leadership to Human Resources and UMass President’s Office diversity and inclusion projects by supporting and facilitating its common mission for an inclusive and respectful work environment.
The incumbent acts as an HR representative on staff diversity, equity, and inclusion issues and is tasked with ensuring the organization follows appropriate legislation, employment law regulations, non-discrimination, harassment, and retaliation policies, and serves as an HR liaison for staff diversity issues.
In addition, this position includes the promotion and development of programs, which will include a robust diverse internship program, collaborating and participating in diversity teams, and creating cross-functional human resources practices to enhance the organizational understanding of inclusion issues that play an active role in enhancing the UMass President’s Office (UMPO) responsiveness to creating an increasingly diverse community.
- Create, administer and oversee an internship program for the UMPO that will provide a diverse group of University students with an opportunity to perform an internship within the UMPO.
- Develop and staff diversity, equity and inclusion programing for the UMPO and coordinate participation in the selection and offering of DE&I programming for UMPO employees.
- Implement professional development programs for employees that are focused on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Partner with others and departments within the UMPO who are engaging in similar efforts to provide a cohesive response to diversity and inclusion awareness.
- Develop the capacity of supervisors and managers to lead in the areas of diversity and inclusive excellence as well as integrate concepts and tools into training targeted at these populations.
- Provide guidance to UMPO departments and groups of employees who are creating/offering DE&I programming.
- Assist with the development and administration of employee development programs that focus on a full range of skills (e.g. supervisor trainings and sexual harassment training).
- Collaborate with Director of HR Operations and Department Managers and/or Hiring Managers to develop recruitment plans that promote D&I and equitable hiring practices and advertising strategies to increase the diversity of the UMPO applicant pool.
- Working with the Director of HR Operations, develop specific action plans in response to any placement goals identified in the UMPO Affirmative Action Plan.
- Lead the Commonwealth Outstanding Performance program and the companion UMPO performance recognition and service awards with a focus on DE&I integrated into the program.
- Stay current with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action Plan, regulations, non-discrimination policies, and relevant case law, to inform D&I practices and assist with corresponding training.
- On an as needed basis, work with the Director of Employee and Labor Relations on employee conflict resolutions within the UMPO.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in organization and employee development, Human Resources, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience and demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Experience in promoting and implementing diversity training.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines related to affirmative action and civil rights enforcement.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Must be proactive, possessing the ability to stay several steps ahead in anticipating the needs of the Director of Employee and Labor Relations and trending diversity initiatives.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- A Master’s degree in organization and employee development, Human Resources, or a related field.
- Possesses the skills and knowledge of the latest research on diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- Typical Office Environment
Salary range $80,000 to $90,000. Final salary offer commensurate with experience.