Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as a Medical Technologist in the Hematology Lab. In this role as a Medical Technologist you will perform Hematology lab tests, operate state-of-the-art instruments, and conduct esoteric tests with current technology. Hematology Medical Technologist provides 24/7 coverage of key tests required to support ED/trauma, OR, critical care, and oncology. Operating within UChicago Medicine’s Department of Pathology, we provide reference laboratory testing to various related and unrelated health care entities, managed care organizations and non-affiliated hospitals, outpatient clinics and private physicians’ offices. We offer a full range of diagnostic services.
**$10,000 Sign On Bonus Available**
Performs a wide range of clinical analyses including manual testing, and operates a state-of-the-art integrated instrument system. Routinely performs a wide range of clinical analyses in all sections of the laboratory by properly utilizing a variety of methodologies and instrumentation according to laboratory policies and procedures and in accordance with all regulatory agency requirements in order to provide results of the highest level of quality to physicians and their patients
Essential Job Functions
- Receives specimens submitted to laboratory. Utilizes policies and procedures for requisition and specimen requirements to determine whether the submitted specimen can be processes for analysis. Assures proper storage and procedures for specimens that cannot be immediately analyzed.
- Conducts preliminary specimen preparations for the analytical process through centrifugation of blood specimens, aliquotting of blood and body fluids and distribution of the prepared specimens to the appropriate sections of the laboratory.
- Answers inquiries regarding specimen handling, results and other technical information. Appropriately assists clinicians with requests and seeks out resources necessary when information is not available to answer questions.
- Performs all procedures designated under CLIA’88 rules as moderate or highly complex testing; knows all responsibilities as outlined in the laboratory procedure manual necessary to perform these procedures with highest level of quality within turnaround time goals set by the laboratory.
- Practices the proficient and safe use of all equipment necessary for the completion of all duties and responsibilities by following all maintenance, safety and quality controls policies and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains adequate stock of reagents, standards, and control materials for the performance of testing at assigned workstation and notifies supervisor of any shortages or problems.
- Analyzes all test and quality control results for errors, inconsistencies and deviations prior to reporting results. Initiates and documents troubleshooting and problem solving to resolve issues.
- Reports all test results in the laboratory information system according to laboratory policies and procedures, within stated turn-around times, and follows appropriate backup procedures during computer downtimes.
- Communicates any pertinent information or problems with laboratory staff and supervisors in a respectful and proactive manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must satisfy CLIA ‘88 qualification requirements for testing personnel performing high complexity testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated and conventional laboratory equipment and laboratory testing methodologies.
- Knowledge and ability to use laboratory/hospitals information systems.
- Exceptional organizational ability, with attention to detail mandatory.
- Ability to work in high volume, stressful situations.
- At least one year of pertinent laboratory experience and previous Hematology experience preferred.
- Certification or eligibility as medical technologist, (MT) medical laboratory scientist (MLS), specialist in hematology (SH) through American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent (or eligibility)
- Job Type/FTE: Full-Time
- Shift: Evenings (3:30p – 12:00a)
- Unit/Department: Hematology Lab
- CBA code: Non-Union