The mission of The Vanguard School at is to help guide students in development of their character and academic potential through academically rigorous, content-rich educational programs.
Valuable Final Product: Student understanding of Latin that furthers the development of character and intellect.
General Purpose: The Latin teacher is responsible for developing students’ academic excellence and virtue by creating a positive culture of inquiry and learning and providing students with challenging and meaningful learning activities and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates subject matter knowledge:
- Written command of classical Latin, including knowledge of classical pronunciation and classical roots
- Knowledge of culturally and historically significant literary and non-literary texts and authors associated with ancient Rome
- Age-appropriate literature, songs, and games in Latin
- Characteristics of elementary reading and writing pedagogy in Lain
- Similarities and differences between the target language and English
- Theories of, and differences between, first and second language acquisition in elementary students
- Knowledge of the other arts (historical traditions, genres, and major artists) associated with ancient Rome
- Knowledge of the political, social, and intellectual history of ancient Rome
Plans curriculum and instruction
Delivers effective instruction
Manages classroom climate and operation
Meets professional responsibilities
- Bachelor degree, preferably in the Latin, with at least 24 semester hours in content area
- Prior teaching experience preferred but not required