The Quad Preparatory School
Sixth- and Seventh-Grade Special Education Associate Teacher (2021-2022 Anticipated Openings)
Updated: January 31, 2021
Reports to: Upper School Academic Director
***We’d love to meet you! Please note that this role is an anticipated opening for the 2021-22 school year. Want to learn more? Come to our Career Night!***
The Quad Preparatory School is an alternative, non-profit, K-12 college preparatory school dedicated to the education of twice-exceptional students, bright and creative children who learn differently. Quad Prep is a young, fast-growing school founded in 2013 that is a vibrant professional and collegial learning community for employees.
The Quad Preparatory School transforms the lives of twice-exceptional people – those who are gifted and learn differently – by redefining the experience of school. Our personalized model fully integrates social and emotional learning with challenging academics, empowering our students to rise to the level of their extraordinary talents. Through our innovative programs we are leading a larger movement in service of both twice-exceptional people and society at large.
Our teachers, clinicians, and staff joined together to craft our statement of values, which we are proud to share:
- Quad Prep is a kind and joyful learning community where everyone is celebrated for who they are.
- We ignite students’ strengths and passions and allow for safe academic pursuit at the highest levels by learning from mistakes.
- We are trustworthy and steadfast, and our high academic expectations challenge students to grow uniquely as people and in the way they learn.
- We widen our students’ perspectives, giving them the tools to know themselves and find success in the future of their choosing.
- We never give up on each other and are driven by the ethos of “not if, but how.”
As Quad Prep is rooted in the community of New York City, we commit, as a matter of justice and equity, that we shall work toward enrolling a student body and employing a staff that fully reflects the makeup of our community.
As education at Quad Prep is rooted in the idea that our neurodiverse students are to be proudly celebrated for their unique talents and potential, we commit that the whole self of every individual student, parent, and staff member shall be welcomed, valued, included, and treated always with the deepest respect and empathy.
And, as at Quad Prep our community is a single fabric supporting the development of all, we commit that every student shall benefit from the richness of the backgrounds and experiences that make up that fabric, so that they leave Quad fully prepared to engage with the exciting and wonderful diversity of this world.
The Quad Preparatory School is looking for associate teachers looking to gain classroom experience in a special education setting in grades 6 and 7 for the 2021-22 school year. Associate teachers work closely with the head teacher in a classroom consisting of approximately ten children, providing academic and social-emotional support to the students along with clerical and instructional support to the head teachers. Associate teachers work in humanities (English and social studies), mathematics, and science classrooms. Applicants interested in a particular subject or subjects may specify this in their respective cover letters.
Associate teachers have the opportunity to receive mentorship and support from the head teachers as well as the clinical staff. A benefit of this position is the amount of professional development one will obtain in working with twice-exceptional youth and in being mentored by veteran special education teachers and clinicians. Given the rapid growth of our school, we expect teacher vacancies in most years. Individuals who have been successful as associate teachers for at least two years are given special consideration for teaching vacancies as they arise, and promoting from within is commonplace at Quad Preparatory School.
- Assist the head teachers in planning and executing high-quality, personalized lessons in the areas of language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, and social-emotional learning.
- Follow the directives of the psychosocial and educational staff in working with the individual children as per each child’s academic and social and emotional goals (such as self-regulation, impulse control, and executive functioning).
- Be versatile, flexible, and patient yet firm.
- Empower students to take charge of their learning by providing all necessary scaffolding, modeling, materials, and resources and consistently maintain a high level of expectation for student success.
- Facilitate projects and/or independent activities nurturing the talents and interests of individual students.
- Lead small-group discussions and collaborations extending from the academic curriculum under the guidance of the head teachers.
- Supervise students during non-instructional times, including snack, lunch, and outdoor time.
- Assist the head teacher in maintaining accurate records using the learning management system Altitude.
- Assist in creating and maintaining carefully managed portfolios of student work to illustrate and record progress and achievement.
- Follow the professional code and policies of the school and conduct oneself in a manner that promotes the mission and vision of the school.
- Utilize Google Suite, in particular Google Drive and Docs.
- Complete clerical tasks in support of classroom learning, including data entry, photocopying, and designing bulletin boards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Love for working with children
- Desire and ability to work with students with special needs
- Ability to connect with middle school-aged children
- Providing engaging instruction
- Effective oral and written communication
- A solid understanding of middle school-aged children’s academic, social, and emotional development
- Attention to detail
- Maintaining confidentiality and privacy
- Ethical conduct
- Time management and the ability to multitask
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Patience and flexibility
This job operates in a school setting. The school is located on the fifth and sixth floors of a building with an elevator. This role requires working in various locations around the school and occasional travel to the Lower School campus approximately two blocks away.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. This position is active and involves standing and walking. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items under 20 pounds. During fire drills, the employee, unless physically unable, will need to use the stairs to go to ground level from the fifth or sixth floor. Typing is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time exempt position in an educational facility which is open eight hours a day. Teachers work ten months out of the year according to the academic calendar (late August to late June). Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required. In general, though, hours are Monday-Friday 8:15 A.M.-4:15 P.M.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is dependent upon experience and degree obtained.
At Quad Prep you’ll have access to a full range of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage; pre-tax transit and dependent care accounts; a 401K match and student loan repayment contributions (after one year of employment); and a range of professional development opportunities, including our First Year Support Program for all new facility and staff; our Leadership Development Institute for those wishing to gain supervisory experience; and a full tuition waiver for candidates wishing to participate in our annual Certificate Program in Meeting the Needs of Twice-Exceptional Students.
You’ll engage with your colleagues in our ongoing staff wellness groups, relax at our game nights and happy hours, and collaborate in meaningful work as a valued member of our voluntary groups, including our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Taskforce; our Staff Ambassador Program; and our Peer Mentorship Program.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in elementary education, secondary education (english, mathematics, science, or social studies) or special education.
- Minimum one year paid experience working with children in grades 6-9.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in elementary education, secondary education (English, mathematics, science, or social studies), special education, or content-specialty area or enrollment in a Master’s program.
- Experience teaching middle school-aged children.
- Experience working with twice-exceptional youth.
- Special education training, in particular training in working with twice-exceptional youth.
AAP/EEO Statement: The Quad Preparatory School is based on an inclusive philosophy that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, familial status, citizenship, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law in its hiring procedures and policies.
To apply, visit: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/10791-the-quad-preparatory-school/jobs/34634-sixth-and-seventh-grade-special-education-associate-teacher-2021-2022-anticipated-openings