PLEASE—NO PHONE CALLS about the position.
The Boston House: Hope and Healing for Children with Cancer
Since 1979, The Boston House has served as a home-away-from-home for children with cancer and other life-threatening hematological illnesses, and their families. As an essential part of their overall care, The House provides its guests with low-cost and convenient accommodations in a safe, warm, and comfortable home-like setting. Here, children, families, and caregivers find comfort and support among staff, volunteers, and other families facing the life-changing realities of childhood cancer.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Day Manager is a benefits-eligible, exempt, salaried employee who is accountable for the day-to-day operation of the House. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Day Manager has primary responsibility for guest services and relations, making certain there is adequate coverage for the House, conducting volunteer screening and supervision, and ensuring that House policies and procedures are adhered to by guest families and volunteers. The Day Manager is also responsible for outreach and interaction with the local community, and will assist other staff in administrative tasks when the needs of families allow.
This is a critical position in a small non-profit and as such, the Day Manager will need to be proactive, flexible, and willing to learn on the job, diving into new areas where the candidate might have little expertise.
- Runs the “front” of the House, being the first point of contact for families, creating a warm and responsive environment, meeting families’ needs on a daily basis;
- Takes referrals and determines eligibility in consultation with other staff;
- Checks families in and out;
- Maintains supportive and open communications with guests and participates in special “in-House” family events;
- Maintains guest communications including emotional support and trouble-shooting problems with guests who present challenges; and
- At times, covers the House during the evening, overnight, weekends, or holidays.
Volunteer and Community Engagement
- Coordinates volunteer scheduling with other staff members, interviews, trains, manages, schedules, and supervises volunteers, and ensures the House has round the clock coverage;
- Creates and maintains relationships with churches, schools, and businesses;
- Oversees the House Dinner program;
- Works with the Weekend Manager to schedule Relief Managers for weekend, holiday, or other coverage; and
- Coordinates volunteers for special projects including mass mailings and special events.
- Keeps a complete electronic schedule of volunteers;
- Makes weekly orders of kitchen staples, supplies, and special orders as needed;
- Accepts and records walk-in in-kind and cash donations as well as room rent, and ensures accurate record keeping;
- Takes the lead in the Taxi Voucher Program;
- Helps with other business tasks, such as bookkeeping, state registrations, and the annual audit;
- Participates as a member of the development and event teams as needed, assisting with proposals, Boston Marathon, Falmouth Road Race, Rodman Ride for Kids, and Annual Golf Tournament; and
- Takes the lead for frequent social media posts.
- Position requires certain physical capabilities, such as the ability to frequently carry or move deliveries and gift items and regularly ascend and descend stairs, often while carrying large items; and
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably with experience working or volunteering in a small nonprofit organization.
Deeply passionate about children with life-threatening illnesses and their families;
Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills a plus;
Ability to work effectively with diverse cultural groups from a range of socio-economic backgrounds;
Willingness to deepen knowledge in new content areas;
Entrepreneurial and collegial style and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
Ability to be caring, compassionate, and empathic while remaining discrete and maintaining professional boundaries;
Possession of keen organizational skills and ability to work in an unpredictable environment; and
High degree of flexibility and sense of humor preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
Competent in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email, drive, and calendaring applications, and the Internet in general;
Proficient with social media such as facebook, instagram, and twitter;
Aptitude in basic web development;
Knowledge of, or ability to self teach/easily learn, Wix, Salesforce, SurveyMonkey, Constant Contact, etc.; and
Ability to troubleshoot technology issues a plus.
Self motivated, proactive, flexible, inclusive, and team oriented
Busy customer service environment with frequent interruptions; ability to support families, multitask, and complete projects on time.
WHY THE BOSTON HOUSE?
- Meaningful and rewarding work
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefits package including discretionary organizational contribution to a 401K after one year
- Free parking and we are convenient to the D Line (Longwood stop)
- Friendly work environment
- Professional development opportunities
- Opportunity to work with an incredibly diverse patient population and mission-driven staff and volunteers
- Chance to directly learn many aspects of running a small non-profit organization
Please send cover letter and resume to info@TheBostonHouse.org or to Search Chair, The Boston House: Hope and Healing for Children with Cancer, 229 Kent St., Brookline, MA 02446.
PLEASE—no phone calls about the position.
This description is intended to provide a clear, accurate, yet concise statement of the primary work elements, and to organize the information in a standardized format. It is not intended to describe all the responsibilities and duties for this position, nor should it serve as the sole criteria for personnel decisions and actions. This description is neither an employment agreement nor an expressed or implied employment contract, and TBH may modify it at any time.