Are you a passionate leader who wants to engage the community in honoring the legacy of our feminist foremothers like Susan B. Anthony?
Do you want to grow small non-for-profit into a leading tourist attraction and educational haven for people everywhere?
Then, this is the job for you!
Our Mission: The Susan B. Anthony Birthplace Museum is dedicated to preserving the Birthplace and raising public awareness of the wide-ranging legacy of the prominent 19th century social reformer. As a noteworthy figure in the suffrage, abolitionist, anti-Restellism and temperance movements, Susan B. Anthony advocated for the women’s vote, while opposing slavery, abortion, and alcohol.
Our Vision: As stewards of Susan B. Anthony’s legacy, we are committed to creating an exceptional, historically accurate learning environment that enriches our local community and promotes a national discourse which informs civic engagement. Our vision, consistent with that of Susan B. Anthony herself, is an engaged public informed by truth and history.
Our Values: American democracy; Communication; Community; Education; Historical truth; Human rights; Integrity; Preservation
The Executive Director is an energetic, creative, and goal-oriented leader with an authentic passion and commitment to our mission. As the face of the Museum, the Executive Director publicly promotes and presents our mission, reflects our values and shares the Board’s vision for the future. The Executive Director is an exceptional community builder committed to ensuring that the Museum maintains its important role as asset to the small town of Adams, Massachusetts. An excellent communicator and writer, the Executive Director serves as the face of the Museum on a national scale, acting as a Susan B Anthony subject matter expert. Additionally, overseeing volunteers and paid staff, and in cooperation with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all museum operations: fundraising, collections and archives, site maintenance, marketing / public outreach, and financial management. He or she is organized and able to juggle multiple competing priorities and tasks.
The Susan B Anthony Birthplace is a small museum, and as such, the Executive Director is a team player who juggles many competing priorities and accomplishes goals through the oversight of volunteers and a small staff. The Executive Director is responsible for museum administration and programming, public relations, maintenance, and fundraising.
Administration & Programming
· Oversees and supervises the daily operations of the Museum including scheduling and
providing group tours.
· Together with the Gift Shop manager, when appropriate, oversees Gift Shop activities, sets
prices for sale items, and other responsibilities specific to retail sales.
· Cooperates with the Board committees and attends board meetings as an ad hoc member.
· Works in conjunction with the Board to develop the strategic direction and establish initiatives
to fulfill the mission of the Museum.
· In cooperation with the Treasurer and Bookkeeper, ensures fiscal responsibility through the
development of and adherence to an annual budget.
· Recruits, trains and manages staff, interns, and volunteers.
· Ensures relevant programmatic excellence through creative development and execution of
· Coordinates the scheduling, execution and installation of programming and exhibits.
· Solicits items for our collection of artifacts, researches materials, historical photographs,
papers and other items important to the 19th century theme of the Museum.
· Promotes and advocates for the Museum accreditation.
· Works with volunteers, interns, and staff on projects to assure assigned areas of responsibility
are understood and performed within the guidelines of the Museum mission.
· Works with the Collections Committee to ensure the Museum’s collection is well preserved and
appropriately stored in accordance with a collections policy.
· Proactively aims to increase local, statewide and national awareness and prominence of the Museum – attracting visitors, volunteers and donors.
· Connects directly with the local community (including but not limited to: individuals, media,
businesses, school and civic organizations, and local government) to ensure the Museum
maintains its stature as a valuable asset to the public.
· Oversees online national image and messaging on the Museum website and social media
· Establishes a reputation as a valued Susan B Anthony expert – responding to media inquiries
and seizing opportunities to contribute to regional and national publications.
· Represents the Birthplace at professional meetings and participates with regional and national
library, community, and historical trade organizations.
· Oversees all fundraising including: events, grant applications, annual giving campaigns, and
· Identifies, cultivates and acts as a steward for new and existing donors.
· Researches, writes and administers grant applications from public and private sources.
· Develops new fundraising strategies that bring in revenue from public, corporate, foundation,
and individual sources to ensure financial health of the Museum.
· Oversees membership fees, income from contributions, and when appropriate and with Gift
Shop staff, Gift Shop revenue.
· Manages and monitors the birthplace’s maintenance by ensuring preservation and care for its
historic elements and optimization of its building space.
· In cooperation with volunteers and paid contractors, ensures appropriate landscaping and
garden maintenance that is inviting to the public.
· Cooperates with production of The Birthplace Banner;
· Cooperates with staff for shipping on-line Gift Shop orders, as needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in Museum Studies, Business Administration, Non-
profit Management, or marketing/Communications
· Demonstrated excellence in writing and public speaking
· Ability to work with staff, the Board, government, business leaders, donors and volunteers
· Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience
· Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative
· Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission driven and self-directed
· Willingness to work weekends.
· Salary will be commensurate with relevant experience and or degree.