Working Hours: 24 hours/week.
Additional hours may be available for working special events and programming.
(Summer Star is open from 11am – 3pm, Saturday through Tuesday.)
Transportation: Car required – Summer Star is located at 690 Linden Street in Boylston, MA
Report to: Shalin Liu, Founder & Manager
1) Greet visitors; give tours of the Trailhead House including solar panel operation and compost toilet; provide information about Summer Star’s mission.
2) Participate in community educational programs; lead trail nature walks; coordinate group visits.
3) Identify and remove invasive species from areas around the trailhead house. Training on identification and removal methods will be provided.
4) Evaluate conditions of hiking trail to ensure visitors safety.
5) Monitor artwork in the Linden Street Gallery; assist with installation and de-installation of art shows.
6) Assist with planning, set up, and clean up for special events like art show receptions, concerts, and lectures.
7) Operate live feed from the Wildlife Clinic Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and Education at TUFTS University (located in North Grafton, MA); show documentary films in the Shalin Liu Healing Cage.
8) Answer phones.
9) Create and maintain a database of Summer Star image files.
10) Manage small library and create a database of its contents.
11) Open and close the Trailhead House and perform light housekeeping and cleaning.
12) Work on independent projects, such as finding new documentaries to show in the Cave or other projects of interest, during times when no visitors are at Summer Star.
13) Occasionally employees may be required to carry, reach, bend, push/pull, walk over uneven terrain, lift up to 30 lbs., and work in inclement weather.
Benefits of working at Summer Star:
1) Work in a beautiful setting and work closely with sanctuary founder.
2) Get training on the ecology of the sanctuary as well as green building features.
3) Opportunities to gain many skills including time management and responsibility.
4) Meet and interact with scientists, naturalists, and veterinarians from Mass Audubon, the Sudbury Valley Trustees, and Tufts Veterinary School
5) Attend events including wildlife releases, lectures, concerts, documentaries, and art shows
Summer Star staff should think of Summer Star as home and welcome visitors as guests. We want to offer them an opportunity to learn about nature and wildlife while also giving them room to wander around and find their own answers. We are looking for applicants who are passionate about nature and conservation, interested in teaching the public about nature, able to provide excellent visitor services, and be proactive.