Springville Center for the Arts (SCA) is a growing multi-arts center located in a rural community in Western New York State. We are seeking college-aged interns for a summer residency program that involves a wide range of disciplines and experiences in musical theater, music education, technical theater, media, visual arts, arts administration, and music education.
- Fill all on-and-off stage roles to produce a touring theater program for elementary age children in the local area.
- Teach/direct a variety of workshops for grades K-12. Class topics are based on the skill set of the applicants.
- Produce/direct a larger scale musical production with local high school and college students.
The program begins the first week of June and ends mid-August (11 weeks).
Housing is provided in the parsonage house adjacent to Springville Center for the Arts and will be shared with other interns. A stipend of $175 per week is provided.
Responsibilities vary throughout the program and include performing, teaching, directing, lighting, building/painting sets, and managing a theater space as well as engaging in our various multi-arts center happenings.
- Ability to perform for children
- Because of legal requirements, you must be seeking a degree in an arts or education related field: Theater, Technical Theater, Arts Administration, Music Education, Arts Education, Dance, etc.
- Comfortable working with, teaching, and/or leading children in a workshop setting
- Self-initiative. Participants will create unique programs and workshops based on their own skillset and experience.
- A willingness to work with and learn from a team of other talented musicians, actors, and artists each day.
“I guess I’m emailing just to tell you how beneficial last summer was for me – being a ‘tern was a humbling and fun experience that has really set me on track for my college career. Teaching improv helped me hone my skills, and our sometimes rigorous work schedule definitely instilled a discipline in me that I’ve noticed my peers are often lacking.” – Grant 2016
“This program entrusted me with a task I never would have gotten anywhere else. I was given full control of a major production. Nowhere else would my first directing experience be a fully stage and realized musical! But SCA gave me that, and now my resume says that I’ve directed a fully realized production… Not something most young actors or directors could say!” -Julia 2019
Decisions are typically made by the beginning of April. Please submit with plenty of time for us to review prior to that time.
For more information about this internship or our other theater, visual arts, technical and admin internships, please contact Kingsley Kolek at firstname.lastname@example.org, 716-592-9038, or visit our website at SpringvilleArts.org
All programs subject to change with restrictions relating to CoVid-19.