What is the Opportunity?
Our full-time Analyst Program helps to prepare talented individuals for an engaging and rewarding career at SMBC. It commences with six weeks of coursework, which lays a solid foundation in financial analysis, our processes, and professional development.
Our Analyst Program is an investment in our people.
We are currently hiring into the following Structured Debt areas:
Please only apply to one Analyst Program job opportunity, you will only be considered for ONE vertical.
Fund Finance (SSFD)
SMBC is a global leader in subscription-secured lending to private equity funds investing across multiple asset classes. SMBC offers financing to investment management firms that seek a flexible and inexpensive form of leverage to employ on closed-end, private equity funds, for either commingled fund partnerships or single investor separate accounts. We manage relationships with over 80 Financial Sponsors, spanning the largest private equity firms globally and a large cross-section of mid-market sponsors.
Leveraged Finance (SCAD)
Sponsor Finance (SFG)
Sponsor Finance’s primary mission is to establish strong relationships with private equity sponsors. SFG is a well-established and rapidly growing platform in the US which will offer firsthand experience into the private equity space. Candidates will get direct exposure to underwriting transactions as well as coverage of various industries.
Portfolio Management (PMG)
The Portfolio Management Group supports the bank’s leveraged loan business. The Group is primarily responsible for monitoring the credit quality for portfolio companies owned by Private Equity firms and also manages any amendment and underwriting activities to support these businesses during the tenor of the bank’s relationship.
Lender Finance (LFG)
SMBC’s Lender Finance Group provides strategic credit-based financing solutions to Middle Market loan originators and asset managers. In connection with a CLO where SMBC is lead arranger, LFG may provide Ramp-up Facilities for CLO managers to accumulate collateral.
Municipal Finance is a client-facing group within SMBC’s Specialized Finance Department, responsible for delivering the full solutions to municipal clients through mainly providing liquidity/credit enhancement/funding in support of debt issuance by state and local governments, authorities and essential service providers to fund capital projects or improve existing infrastructure. Municipal services and projects typically generate revenues (via taxes or fees and charges) that can be pledged for the repayment of bonds (e.g. water & sewer or electric power, toll roads, airports, ports, bridges, higher education facilities and housing developments).
Real Estate Finance
Our desk is a client-facing division of Specialized Finance Department, responsible for delivering the full front-to-back spectrum of non-recourse commercial real estate financing. We finance the following types of real estate: multifamily apartments, logistics centers, office buildings, retail shopping centers, hotels, data centers and so on. Our customers are the world’s top-class real estate investors, as well as Japanese and Asian investors, as we leverage our long-standing history and wide client coverage in the Asian market.
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
– A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
– Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for US businesses expanding in Asia
– A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
How Our Program Works
Our full-time Analyst Program is designed for students who completed their undergraduate degree.
The six weeks of training includes:
– Latest industry practices and thought leadership – We invite distinguished internal and external experts to conduct training sessions on critical topics
– Credit and Financial Modelling, Financial Markets eLearning, Capital Markets, Accounting, Business Overviews (presented by panels of experts from our businesses) and Case Studies
– Business Writing, Presentation Skills, Managing Your Career, Personal and SMBC Branding, Japanese Cultural Training, and various networking events
– Buddy assignments to support fluid integration into the Analyst Program
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
– Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2021 or May 2022; excellent academic record
– 3.2 GPA or higher
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely and defend their validity
– Financial accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and perform credit analysis
– Experience with filtering and processing large amounts of information, including company reports, SEC filings, legal documents, and news
– Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
– Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
– Intellectual curiosity
– Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment; highly collaborative to coordinate and communicate with various internal departments across the firm
– Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
– Excellent technology skills with superior Excel and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications