Penguin Press is seeking an Editorial Assistant to read and evaluate submissions, provide administrative support, and oversee aspects of the editorial process for three editors. The Editorial Assistant will work on a distinguished list of narrative nonfiction, history, politics, science, and literary fiction. The imprint’s award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include Michael Pollan, Thomas Pynchon, Zadie Smith, Nate Silver, Celeste Ng, Ocean Vuong, Ron Chernow, Carolyn Forché, Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, Steve Coll, Elif Batuman, Ottessa Moshfegh, and Mary Oliver among others. Penguin Press is devoted to ideas that matter and storytelling that lasts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with supervisors on the progress of book projects from acquisition to publication by arranging schedules with the Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production departments.
- Preparing paperwork, including contract requests, profit and loss statements, estimate requests, and check requests.
- Acting as the in-house liaison between Editorial, Production, Design, and Managing Editorial departments, as well as the Sales, Marketing and Publicity teams.
- Assisting supervisors in the acquisitions process by reading and evaluating manuscripts and proposals, writing rejection letters, and researching and developing ideas.
- Liaising with authors and agents in all phases of process from acquisition to publication.
- Collaborating with supervisors on drafting catalog and cover copy for hardcovers and paperbacks.
- Providing administrative support by answering phones, scheduling, managing mailings, etc.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Prior office experience; publishing experience a plus
- Genuine interest in serious nonfiction and literary fiction
- Strong follow-up and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven and detail-oriented environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.