The Media and Communications Specialist performs intermediate professional work across multiple platforms for public communications, public relations and marketing related work. Work includes preparing, editing and producing media; developing and executing campaigns, assisting or leading in platform administration, and related work as required all within the County’s branding, styles, Citizen customer service and execution of Crisis Management. Work involves initiating, developing and maintaining working relationships with key internal and external individuals and clients. May act as representative to the media or appear in media for the County. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Assistant County Manager for Community Affairs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops, edits and produces news releases, documents, photography, videos, digital posts and contributions to all or assigned platforms operated by the County within a campaign guideline or unit instruction.
- Documents work and maintains digital assets of the County.
- Operates a variety of audio-visual equipment and instruments and provides instructions to others.
- May be platform administrator for an asset of the County.
- Writes and edits work within branding and styles of the County for all platforms.
- Writes, edits, and reviews the work of others by direction.
- As assigned, responds to Citizens and customers of the County via social media and related platforms.
- Plans and Executes multi-disciplined campaigns as assigned.
- Helps to organize public relations, media coverage of the County, campaigns and other work involving other units to advance Citizen communication.
- Develops and may lead special events, projects and activities designed to advance the County.
- Provides media guidance to other units.
- Acts as brand manager for the County.
- Accounts for equipment, digital and physical assets of the County related to the unit.
- Operates the Government television channel and streaming assets.
- Provides strong sense of the community and Onslow County as a place in campaign development and public relations for the County.
- Writes speeches, presentations and assists in public appearances for others.
- Appears on camera for County productions, and for media inquiries.
- Mentors others on areas of expertise.
- Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member.
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Qualifications:Thorough knowledge of public information and principles and practices of public relations and media relations, journalism, media and government; thorough knowledge of writing and editing; advanced knowledge of the organization, function and method of operation of the elected officials, managerial staff, administrative staff and operational departments; thorough skills in the use of normal computer and audio-visual equipment; thorough ability to write public reports and releases; thorough knowledge of Microsoft 365 basic components and industry standard (such as Adobe) design programs; ability to gather and analyze facts on a variety of subjects matters and to assemble and present concise reports and presentations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, news media and the general public; ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, orally and in writing; ability to execute acceptable crisis communications and effective Citizen engagement activities.
Salary will be determined by candidate’s qualifications, internal equity, budget, and market considerations
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in journalism, communication or public relations or similar field, and 3 to 5 years of experience with government or equivalent experience in media relations. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to mentor others and provide project and campaign leadership.
For completed education higher than a high school diploma, please attach an official transcript of the degree awarded.
Possession of a driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
Ability to obtain Federal Emergency Management Administration certifications.
Employee may be called upon in case of a disaster, either natural or man-made, to serve the Citizens of Onslow County. Service to the Citizens during a disaster may result in the assignment of other duties, which will take precedence regular duties described in this job description.