The Practice Manager is responsible for operational management of the practice(s) and is required to exercise a high degree of independent judgment and creativity to identify opportunities and problems, analyze data, develop initiatives and solutions and meet program goals. Responsibilities include business planning, budgeting, facilitating provider relations, and identifying strategic market opportunities. Oversees the practice budget, personnel, provider relationships, patient satisfaction, quality improvement and employee engagement/satisfaction either independently or in collaboration with the Director.
The incumbent performs duties in accordance with performance standards. The incumbent may have access to highly confidential patient, employee, and proprietary information, and must handle and protect the information in accordance with hospital and system policies, HIPAA requirements, and the highest level of ethical standards. The incumbent is responsible for reporting all security events, potential events, and other security risks to the organization. The incumbent is accountable for employee safety and will attend safety and loss-control training, engage in injury prevention, perform accident and injury investigations including conducting root cause analysis, and assist in returning employees to regular duty.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential Job Functions)
- Communicates and enforces the system-wide Corporate Compliance program.
- Reports any potential or real ethical, legal or regulatory violations to the Vice President of Primary and Specialty Care and the Corporate Compliance Officer.
- Encourages staff to report Corporate Compliance issues
- Assists with investigations into alleged violations, and the development and implementation of disciplinary and/or corrective action as indicated.
- Continually assesses the department for compliance with all federal, state, local and other regulatory (The Joint Commission, OSHA, CMS etc.) requirements.
- Completes annual staff training, ensuring staff understanding of participation in the above.
- Exercises leadership style that fosters collaboration, cooperation, and team-building and demonstrates problem solving abilities with measurable improvement in process or results.
·Escalating concerns/issues/opportunities to Director that include suggested solutions/recommendations/mitigation plans
·Rounds daily with staff and providers; conducts staff meetings on a regular basis
·Optimizing communications to and from practice staff.
·Devising and implementing patient satisfaction improvement plans based on the feedback from patient rounding interviews, survey data, and patient concerns and/or safety events
- Allocates and delegates work effectively and sets priorities with realistically achievable goals.
- Coordinates office assignments and duties so as to achieve a consistently positive workload outcome and set priorities with realistically achievable goals.
- Supports staff in their duties during peak times or during absenteeism.
- Conducts staff meetings on a regular basis to foster communication between employees.
- Develops and maintains all practice-based policies and procedures in accordance with federal and state regulations, accrediting bodies and hospital policies.
- Evaluates, plans and coordinates changes in communication systems, information systems, and patient scheduling, registration and billing systems, collaborating with other hospital departments as appropriate.
- Able to receive and offer constructive feedback for problem resolution.
- Manages staff within budgetary constraints using staffing plan and appropriately qualified employees.
- Manages providers’ schedules.
- Coordinates equipment, housekeeping, and plant & engineering problem resolution with appropriate hospital department and ensures on-going cleanliness of entire practice space.
- ·Manage community relations and practice marketing in conjunction with the Physician Lead
- ·Develops and maintains effective liaison with management, physicians, patients, community, governing authorities and employees
- Works closely with the Marketing & Public Relations department for practice outreach and promotional opportunities.
- Ensures a safe work environment, adequate supplies and appropriate resource utilization for the practice.
- Ensure that the department environment is free from recognized hazards that create a risk of injury to healthcare workers, patients, and/or visitors.
- Support and facilitate open & non-punitive communication between healthcare workers, patients, and families regarding clinical and environmental safety on their unit and when interfacing with other units, groups, and individuals.
- Support and facilitate employee and non-employee healthcare workers in reporting and directly addressing patient and environmental safety concerns.
- Provides a continuous assessment of all practice operations to identify and implement performance improvement opportunities.
- Establishes appropriate working relationships with equipment and service vendors and ensures strong performance in supply chain management.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with other clinical and non-clinical staff and leaders.
- Keeps up-to-date with changes in technology, IS, and treatment modalities as they relate to services of the practice.
- Ensures that information system performance issues are documented and reported.
- Plays active role in monitoring reimbursement changes that impact the practice and recommends any necessary actions to maximize program financial results.
- Maintains and sets expectation for professionalism, confidentiality, and high degree of work ethic and integrity.
- Facilitates ongoing strategic program development and improvement.
- Ensures an integrated and coordinated approach to a successful and patient-centered practice through internal and external collegial relationships and partnerships.
- Recruiting, onboarding, and training of new personnel.
- Trains and cross-trains staff in all duties required to operate an efficient practice.
- Motivates and empowers staff to achieve results.
- Manages staff schedules and payroll system for the practice in a timely and accurate manner.
- Completes and administers employee performance evaluations in a timely, fair, and consistent manner and conducts performance evaluation conferences that are constructive and informative, encouraging employee communication and participation.
- Provides positive and constructive feedback on an on-going basis.
- Effectively uses disciplinary measures when required.
- Ensures competency of staff and addresses defined learning needs.
- Ensures that all required staff credentials are maintained and up to date
- Works with Providers, Staff, and Director to set annual WRVU/revenue and expense budgets, adheres to departmental annual expense budget, reports variances monthly, and sets action plans to address variances.
- Oversight of daily collections and petty cash reconciliation.
- Leads initiatives to effectively support the practice’s business strategy.
- Serves as a role model of the change expected from others.
- Provides appropriate training and develops leadership and other essential skills in self and others.
- Actively involved in state and national associations to stay abreast of issues.
- Serves as a role model for professional leadership.
- Demonstrates an acceptance and ability to coach, counsel, motivate, and direct regarding job performance and work behavior.
- Demonstrates proficiency in business planning and strategic program development.
- Performs additional duties as required or assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: Minimum of three to five years’ experience.
- Other Skills: 3-5 years of progressive, supervisory experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to assess and lead professionals and manage others through influence and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to conduct and interpret quantitative and qualitative analysis. Must have excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills. The ability to prioritize multiple agendas, issues and concerns, including the ability to follow through on commitments and issues in an accurate and timely manner is required.
- Desirable Traits: Versatility and multi-task orientation. Patience, attention to detail and professionalism in dress and demeanor. Must demonstrate judgment and initiative to function calmly and effectively during demanding situations. Must be flexible with scheduling demands of the position. Knowledge of basic computer skills required.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Extend body and limbs to reach items.
* Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.