A Medical Technologist 1 is responsible for performance of technical laboratory tests/procedures which provide information to physicians for the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of diseases in patients. Provides accurate, timely and cost effective testing/analysis of various blood, body fluid and tissue samples using current manual or automated lab methods. Works collaboratively with nursing, providers and other members of the multi-disciplinary patient-care team. Follows policies/procedures and best practices within the scope of the laboratory Quality Management Program. Maintains compliance with all state, federal, regulatory and accreditation agencies. Reports directly to the Technical Supervisor in charge of the department or site.
Performs Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement duties (to include Quality Control / maintenance / troubleshooting for procedures and equipment).
• Runs and evaluates QC per protocol.
• Performs maintenance activities as scheduled and according to SOP.
• Investigates QC/maintenance/instrument/procedural problems, takes appropriate corrective action, and documents.
• Participates in QI activities – collects data, identifies issues, participates in resolutions.
Participates in competency assessment/ continuing education activities/mandatory training.
• Performs proficiency testing within the allotted time frame and receives a satisfactory rating.
• Performs annual or semi-annual competency assessments on time and receives a satisfactory rating.
• Completes recurring mandatory training prior to assigned due date(s).
• Reviews policies and procedures as assigned.
• Attains a minimum of 12 CE’s annually, in at least 2 of the 4 categories.
• Maintains active certification status at all times.
• Volunteers for projects and completes them on time.
Performs patient testing. Evaluates, communicates, records, and verifies results according to SOP.
• Evaluates specimens for acceptability and appropriateness of test request.
• Follows standard operating policies and procedures.
• Recognizes unusual/abnormal/critical results and takes appropriate and timely action(s).
• Performs testing within established TAT guidelines. Can effectively prioritize and adapt to workload demands.
• Enters results in computer completely and accurately.
• Immediately phones test result corrections to the responsible licensed provider (or nursing staff) and accurately documents.
• Telephones and faxes results when required.
• Performs new procedures competently and with minimal supervision.
Trains new employees/ students.
• Provides bench training and instruction to new employees and students.
• Participates in continuing education and professional development for laboratory personnel.
Certified by (or eligible for) examination as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)/Medical Technologist (MT) by a nationally-recognized certifying agency such as the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or other equivalent certifying agency.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization’s benefit.
* No previous experience required.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable
*Primary area of responsibility in the Core Lab to include automated and manual testing in Hematology, Coagulation and Urinalysis. May rotate into other areas of the lab (chemistry and special chemistry) as needed. Will be responsible for providing didactic and hands-on bench training of new staff and students. Will be responsible for competency assessment of testing staff in the section. Will assist with day-to-day continuous compliance with regulatory agencies.
•Bachelor degree in medical/clinical laboratory, chemical, physical, or biological science from an accredited college/university preferred, or Associate degree in Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited college/university, AND
•Certified by (or eligible for) examination as a Medical Laboratory Technician(MLT) / Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) / Medical Technologist (MT) by a nationally-recognized certifying agency such as the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or other equivalent certifying agency.
•Failure to successfully become certified within six months of hire date will result in a position change to Medical Laboratory Assistant until certification is achieved.
•Personnel hired by the laboratory prior to June 1999, who are certified as an MT/MLT/CLT and possess an AMT/HEW/HHS certification.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
Equal Opportunity EmploymentWe are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status