POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for planning and managing the human material equipment and fiscal resources for areas of responsibility and accountable for developing action plans to contribute to the organizations’ ability to carry out its mission and accomplish annual pillar goals. Provides direction and leadership for the quality of care and customer service provided by staff to the patients served. Responsible for holding all staff accountable in maintaining compliance with CMS Conditions of Participation and Joint Commission Standards.
SUPERVISES: any combination of the following positions: Infection Prevention Specialists and other positions that are required to meet the operation demands of the department.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with current licensure as a registered nurse in Maine. Bachelor degree in nursing with movement toward MSN. National Certification preferable.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Minimum of five years of nursing experience. Management experience highly preferred in a healthcare setting. At least 2 years of Infection Prevention experience. Demonstrates effective interpersonal communication skills, teamwork, and organizational skills. Effective collaborative, problem solving skills. Ability to manage customer complaints and staff issues effectively. Ability to assist with bedside care when needed preferable.
OTHER SKILLS REQUIRED: Ability to: contribute to the long-term growth and viability of Eastern Maine Medical Center; ensure high quality, cost effective patient care; address issues of customer satisfaction and human resources management. Independently creates and pursues performance improvement projects with the unit nursing leadership and medical group. Actively participates on hospital wide committees applicable to their department(s). Must possess visual acuity, hearing acuity, verbal skills, and command of the English language necessary to communicate with patients, families, physicians, external agencies and staff all levels in the organization.
Must possess manual dexterity necessary for administrative tasks such as preparing reports and departmental budgets and managing quality improvement plan. Ability to communicate in an effective and hospitable manner in person and by phone. Flexibility with work hours and activities in response to unit needs.
Ability to learn basic computer skills, to identify own learning needs, to work independently, to recognize need for assistance and seek it in a timely manner, to prioritize work responsibilities and work efficiently in the face of a variety of every changing requests and demands on time. Ability to build supportive relationships with co-workers and evaluate performance of staff members. Ability to adapt to change and modify staff behaviors to meet all regulatory requirements, to adjust staffing to workflow and acuity needs of department, to follow-up or initiate disciplinary actions with goal of changing negative behaviors.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light to medium carrying up to 50 pounds, straight pulling/pushing, reaching in all directions, stooping, walking long distances, standing, sitting, repetitive motion/finger activity for sustained periods of time, speaking, hearing, moderate phone contact, visual activity; long periods of working on computer.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Applies Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of current and future trends that impact organizational success. Applies proven practices and business theories to get results that meet financial as well as other business goals. Recognizes opportunities for new services and products and acts accordingly, taking measured risks into consideration. Possesses a thorough knowledge of their field and independently carries out their work in accordance with professional standards of the profession.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status