The Communications Specialist is responsible for public relations and communication efforts as assigned by the manager, using awareness of brand identity to assure integration with other departmental efforts and conferring with other leaders and colleagues as necessary. This person supports a wide variety of efforts for both internal (employees, patients) and external (community) audiences on behalf of the hospital.
- Digital Communication: working to keep information updated on the hospital’s website, social media pages, and digital monitors across campus.
Photography/Videography: Taking photos, including ones for employee badges, providers, new babies, patient interactions with staff/providers, and event photos. Video work includes both shooting and editing videos for staff or patient education use.
Organizational Communications: Developing/designing of materials such as posters, banners, signs, brochures, postcards, etc., while maintaining brand standards and working with key stakeholders as required.
Media Relations: Maintaining a working relationship with area media contacts, creating press releases as needed, coordinating media interviews, and responding appropriately for requests by media regarding patient information.
Marketing: Assisting as needed with marketing efforts for the hospital in collaboration with system marketing plans and local identified needs.
Writing: Providing professional writing and editing without factual or typographical errors in a variety of media; demonstrating the ability to translate pertinent healthcare information for internal and external audiences; meeting deadlines; securing interviews; and presenting work for timely and appropriate review.
Events: Assisting with special organization or community events as needed.
Other Duties: Representing the organization at community events or on community committees as assigned; providing support as required during disaster drills or codes; and performing other duties as assigned by the manager.
Bachelor’s degree required. Three years experience preferred.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, database experience and other computer related skills.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
* Need to drive to perform responsible duties.
* Continuous sitting.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.