The National STEM Honor SocietyTM Internship Program
Business, Marketing, Social Media, Analytics, Media, Sales & Member Support, Film, Computer Science, E-Commerce, Information Collection & Data Management, Business Management, PR, HR, Entrepreneurial, Virtual, Remote Internship
PLEASE APPLY ON OUR APPLICATION PAGE: https://www.nstem.org/internships
To learn more about NSTEM:
- Visit our website: www.nstem.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nstemhs
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nstemhs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/nstemhs
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-stem-honor-society
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHYDfYtB8Q
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/nstemhs
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@nstemhs
- Newsroom/Blog: https://www.nstem.org/newsroom-blog
This unpaid internship can be fulfilled virtually from anywhere around the globe; currently all in-person opportunities are on hold.
Duration Requirements: Whether the internship is for credit or not, National STEM Honor Society (NSTEM) hires interns for a minimum of 240 total hours with no maximum, and a 4 month (15 hour/week) minimum. We have had interns with us now for as long as two years and are still part of the organization.
NSTEM was in the development stage for 3+ years and went live in 2020 with the goal of opening thousands of Chapters around the globe! Our mission is to inspire innovation and recognize student excellence From K to CareerTM in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics – inspiring kids as young as kindergarten to get involved and stay involved in STEM hopefully for the rest of their education and careers!
Please visit our website at www.nstem.org to really understand NSTEM and the benefits of starting an NSTEM Chapter. Also, please take a look at the National STEM Honor Society social media platforms on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Pinterest!
Management & Leadership Opportunities: There are many opportunities to take on a leadership position in NSTEM to lead small and large teams on a myriad of projects. We have two main roles, Directors and Project Managers (PM’s).
- Directors lead divisions or departments that consist of projects, PM’s and team members.
- Project Managers lead individual projects and teams of interns and take a more defined role into each individual project. In some instances, new interns are promoted directly to Director or PM roles however in most cases, interns are promoted from within to fulfill these leadership roles.
Two Types of Internships: There are two types of internships that NSTEM offers, Accredited and Volunteer Internships:
- Volunteer Internship: NSTEM offers a “Volunteer Internship” option in addition to our official internship for academic credit. If an individual is interested in interning with NSTEM but is not tied to formal education, the internship will be classified as a “Volunteer Internship.” This option is offered for individuals who are not interested in receiving academic credit but rather the experience at NSTEM.
- Accredited Internship: NSTEM works with colleges and universities to provide an experience that is directly related to desired learning outcomes and will complete all necessary paperwork. NSTEM provides this accredited opportunity by supporting interns in meeting program requirements and agrees to provide written documentation of work performed, recommendations, and evaluations for interns (according to performance standards). In order to offer an internship that complies with federal labor laws, NSTEM adheres to the following conditions:
- The intern clearly understands that there is no expectation of compensation; this is an unpaid internship opportunity
- NSTEM internships provide training similar to that given in an educational environment
- This internship can be tied to intern’s formal education programs by the receipt of academic credit
- NSTEM internships accommodate intern’s academic commitments and provide significant educational benefits
- The duration of this internship provides beneficial learning for a specified amount of time
- Intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees
- Internships are conducted without entitlement to a paid job at the conclusion of the internship
Intern Goals & Learning Objectives: An intern working for the National STEM Honor Society can expect to meet their academic and learning goals, career exploration, and industry knowledge led by a committed staff providing an experience to meet them:
- Increase knowledge of the industry
- Grow leadership skills and learning to manage large projects
- Gain experience in adapting to changing roles and environments
- Conduct research and practice analytical/quantitative skills
- Assertively engage at work, conduct research effectively, write and present professionally, and make business decisions
- Understand and implement the roles and responsibilities of Project Managers, which include:
- Track team members’ schedules, tasks, needs, and interests
- Gain proficiency with tools such as G Suite, Trello, SmartSheets
- Provide a constant flow of work for team members
- Establish and use effective communication channels with team members
- Treat team members with kindness, understanding and respect
- Organize project materials to achieve outcomes efficiently
- Learn to ramp up quickly on new projects
- Lead by example, which means rolling up your sleeves and diving into the project!
Supervision & Mentoring: All interns working for NSTEM will be mentored and supervised by our staff. Directors and Project Managers offer diverse educational backgrounds and expertise within their respective fields. Staff members provide opportunities for interns to work on projects that align with their learning goals with evaluation and constructive feedback along the way. NSTEM believes that successful internships go hand in hand with enjoyable internships. Staff will personally check-in with you throughout your internship experience and make adjustments as necessary in order to ensure that you achieve your internship goals. Our team is constantly available for interns that work in the office as well as those that work virtually. Staff works with the requirements of colleges and universities in order to provide written feedback according to their specific policies. We work tirelessly to ensure all of our interns get the attention they need in pursuant to their internship goals. Interns also have the opportunity to learn from each other as there is much collaboration between both local and remote interns.
Being a part of the National STEM Honor Society expansion is an outstanding opportunity to grow your business, entrepreneurship, film production, social media, marketing, sales, service, and outreach capabilities while contributing to a team with the deep purpose of inspiring more STEM into the lives of our students, educators, sponsors, partners and advisory council members. Interns are given the opportunity to make strategic decisions and practice active learning and reflective thinking. They work in diverse teams with other interns, either in the office or through virtual connections. Because of the cooperative nature of NSTEM’s projects, interns are encouraged to form continuing networking relationships with each other. Team building is supported in order to set interns up to thrive in a collaborative environment. After interning at NSTEM, interns have valuable and applicable skills for finding meaningful and productive environmental work gaining valuable work experience in the process.
Our leadership team here at NSTEM wants to create a positive working environment for you to learn and thrive. To meet this end, we strive to ensure:
- family, health and school are most important – let us know what your needs are to ensure your physical and emotional wellbeing
- team members engage fully in their work – always ensure you are in the right projects for you and your goals
- team members work to capacity – you are here to get the most out of your experience, and that goes both ways, let us help you
The President’s Volunteer Service Award: The National STEM Honor Society is a certifying organization for the “President’s Volunteer Service Award” to eligible interns. This award is a great achievement to include on resumes and applications. This award was created to, “recognize the important role of volunteers in America’s strength and national identity. This award honors individuals whose service positively impacts communities in every corner of the nation and inspires those around them to take action, too.” Eligible NSTEM interns interested in receiving this award should get in touch with their supervisors over the course of their internship.
What are the opportunities to get involved as an intern? What do interns do for the National STEM Honor Society? The National STEM Honor Society is an educational/business start-up organization that provides interns with interesting, diverse, and stimulating work opportunities unlike most experiences. At NSTEM, you are not limited to just one role, and we encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to explore a variety of roles, experiences, opportunities, and responsibilities. Supporting your specific interests and individual learning goals, you will engage in focused learning experiences working on projects essential to the day-to-day operation of our organization where you will receive guidance and resources to apply knowledge and skills to your emerging professional lives. As an intern with National STEM Honor Society, you can perform a myriad of real and meaningful tasks.
- Marketing & Social Media: The National STEM Honor Society has STEM campaigns on a national and international, targeted basis. Our messages are centered around discussions on STEM inspiration, access, equity, and support in a very graphical way. There are several specific target markets, each with very different characteristics in terms of sending customized, strategic messages employing the correct social media platforms for each target market. Team members will be in charge of interacting and engaging with different users by creating brand awareness, gaining leads/sales, developing a voice for the company, and relationships with our followers on our different platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube. Interns will create and implement different strategies to help increase engagement on the platforms. Interns will work closely with digital marketing software, including Hootsuite Pro, and Canva. Team members specialize in creating appealing digital media for platform sharing, and engaging in an editing/writing process for curated content. Platforms the team manages currently are Instagram, FaceBook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and TikTok. In addition, there will be opportunities to learn the skills needed for digital advertising in order to reach STEM educators and organizations across the United States and the world. Interns will also work with other teams, including graphics, web, video production, and email sending to centralize a sales strategy that reaches potential customers.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with experience in social media management, posting, and highly developed writing skills, basic knowledge on social media platforms, self-motivated
Content & Content Management: As a core component of the Marketing & Social Media Department, the National STEM Honor Society content and content management team focuses on both collecting and sharing content of other creators and producing original content to be shared on our platforms. Mapping and strategizing content is a key part of identifying and catering to target market audiences, and forming valuable relationships with our customers. Team members will share and create platform or persona-specific content for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, TikTok, and Pinterest, managing posts via the Hootsuite platform.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants should have familiarity with the above social media platforms and a broad knowledge of social media/marketing advertising strategies. Those with experience in building up personal or company social media profiles is a plus!
Graphic Design: As a team/division of the Marketing & Social Media Department, National STEM Honor Society graphics team focuses on creating visually appealing banners, icons, boards, postings and blog graphics. Creative graphics experience is essential in working to expand our branding in all communication platforms including social media, website, PR, email sales and e-commerce. Inspirational visual content is critical to drive engagement and clicks on social media and the focus is on creating compelling visual assets for every campaign to engage our prospects on an emotional and value added basis.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Candidates must either be studying graphics or have significant experience in graphic design. Experience in Canva is highly preferred as NSTEM has settled on this as our standard. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus!
Interactions: Team members will be in charge of interacting and engaging with different users by creating brand awareness, gaining leads/sales, developing a voice for the company, and relationships with our followers on our different platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube. Interns will research, create and implement different strategies to help increase engagement on the different platforms. Interns will also work closely with the analytics team to determine strategies to help our platform’s engagement increase.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with experience in social media platforms, basic knowledge on the social media platforms, highly developed writing skills, and self-motivated
- Analytics: The National STEM Honor Society is working to develop STEM campaigns on a national, targeted basis centered around discussions on STEM access, equity, and support, as well as their relationship to NSTEM’s mission. These campaigns, via email, social media, and video, need to be analyzed for effectiveness across several platforms. Interns will work closely with analytics software, including Hootsuite Pro, Google Analytics, and Outreach Analytics. Interns will communicate closely with other teams, including web, video production, and email sending to address how campaigns are performing and to increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for the NSTEM website. Data visualizations are created to present data to other departments using Google Data Studio. These focus on presenting data in a clear and concise manner, so it is easily understood at first glance. Company-wide analytics are presented weekly and targeted marketing demographic data is presented monthly.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with a passion for analytics and skills in verbal and written communication, presentations, spreadsheets, and attention to detail; Proficiency in Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Google SEO, Google Data Studio, or Outreach is a plus.
- Sales & Member Support: Learn how to create an effective sales program, collecting valuable information about schools across the country from elementary through college, and developing a national juggernaut email campaign nation-wide and internationally. This is the lifeblood of our company as we learn about and build lasting relationships with over 100,000 schools in the US alone, to say nothing of our international efforts. We believe that effective selling is helping people make decisions that are good for them. We believe that what we are selling is of great value to our children and to the future of our country. If you choose to participate in this department of the company, you will be trained by a professional to sell with empathy, learning a life-long skill which will serve you well throughout your future endeavors. We add value to our chapters and people at every opportunity. Engage with different public audiences and learn how to effectively communicate with them while supporting our member Chapters, their members and their administrative teams including Advisors and Directors. Our goal is to have new chapters and for those chapters to sign up for NSTEM year after year after year. In order to do this we need to focus on our existing chapters, to communicate with them often and to add value and satisfaction at every opportunity. Hard skills will be acquired via Outreach software (the top email personalized email sending software in the market) and email strategy, as well as more soft skills such as connecting with customers, communication, and adaptability.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: A desire to understand each and every school and system, where they are in STEM education, and to be able to personalize outgoing emails to build long term relationships and open chapters across the country and the world. Experience in all aspects of Google Drive, including Google Sheets and Docs, as well as creating and organizing Google Drive. Search Engine Optimization and keyword proficiency is a plus in obtaining relevant and important contact information for future prospects. Utilizing proper time management and organization is key. Proficiency in Outreach is a plus.
- Information Collection & Data Management: This is the backbone of our sales effort as we research and identify the highest priority prospects for Chapters of the National STEM Honor Society. Learn how to collect valuable information about potential prospects and keep this database updated as it is used in our state of the art email sending method. In this department, you will be building the foundation for future NSTEM chapters by being involved in one of our teams. Our goal is to obtain new chapters and for those chapters to sign up for NSTEM year after year. In order to do this, we need to find valuable contact information for school districts around the country, especially those focused on STEM. One team gathers information on school districts country-wide, while another focuses on obtaining which schools are excelling in STEM initiatives. The final team uploads this information into the email sending software program Outreach, working closely with the Sales & Support team.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Experience in all aspects of Google Drive, including Google Sheets and Docs, as well as creating and organizing Google Drive. Search Engine Keyword proficiency is a plus in obtaining relevant and important contact information for future prospects. Utilizing proper time management and organization is key. Proficiency in Outreach is a plus.
- Public Relations (PR): Specialists work closely with our marketing team and are responsible to build and maintain a positive public image for our company. They create media, from press releases to social media messages, that shape public opinion of the company or organization and increase awareness of its brand. They are in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with our Chapters, greater community, interns and staff, and public interest groups by writing press releases and other media communications, researching potential contacts and partners, and responding to requests for information. The PR Department will work closely with the Social Media Department managing the Pinterest account.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Verbal and written communication skills; Solid understanding of the different social media platforms (Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.); Desire to learn along with exemplary research skills; Excellent time management skills; Strong creative thinking and writing skills; In-depth knowledge of GSuite office and various Google applications; Independent and collaborative nature; Work ethic and willingness to learn; Enthusiasm for PR.
- E-Commerce: Researching and discovering new merchandise that matches our mission. This department includes chapter apparel and merchandise, personal apparel, and recognition items (such as pins, cords, certificates). Building relationships with e-commerce experts and fulfillment centers outside of NSTEM along with researching specific products to maximize profit. Promoting NSTEM in creative ways our line of merchandise is a key objective.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: E-Commerce requires the following skillset: critical thinking, persistent work ethic and willingness to learn, express enthusiasm and creativity for creating new, captivating content, creative writing, organization, and working with various personas. An in-depth knowledge of GSuite office and various Google applications is essential for NSTEM interns across the board.
- Video/Film Production: The National STEM Honor Society is looking to expand its video content. We’re seeking interns who are ready to add vital contributions in laying the groundworks for a sustainable, constant flow of high quality, branded content. Interns will work remotely and collaboratively to conceptualize and produce a wide catalogue of NSTEM promotional videos for use on the NSTEM website and social media outlets. The goal is to create a brand that will be the backbone of the company for years to come. Interns in this team will manage NSTEM’s YouTube account as well.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Experience in script writing (formal or informal), visual planning, editing (Adobe Premiere/Common Video Editing Software), or animation (digital) is required. Technical skills are extremely appreciated.
- Computer Science/Website/Tech: NSTEM is built on the WordPress platform, needing constant updates. Our entire social media campaign will be aimed at sending targeted persons to different parts of our website for different desired results. The key result is to increase the number of chapters across the country in record time. We are looking for Innovators, problem solvers and tech-savvy interns to join NSTEM’s Tech Team. Tech team is a group of NSTEM interns that have a knack for technology use and are adept at helping others. These interns are problem solvers, critical thinkers, and enjoy staying on top of new technologies and best practices that will drive the mission of NSTEM. Tech Team members are able to troubleshoot issues and serve as the front line for tech support issues such as logins and will aid with GSuite apps for our global users. They are able to create helpful learning materials like tutorials and documentation. In addition, they support new staff and interns as they onboard. Tech Team members are innovators and come up with ways to expand the knowledge and confidence of all NSTEM’s constituents.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: customer service, tech support, GSuite, strong communication, digital marketing, change management, user experience, web design. Willingness to collaborate and a team-oriented mindset; Good work ethic and a willingness to learn; Drive to make the best first impression for NSTEM.
- Human Resources: Our team specialists are responsible for recruiting, screening, interviewing and placing team members into teams. They oversee team members and ensure they are being challenged, meeting expectations, enjoying their internships and not overwhelmed. They become specialists in their duties, consult with executives on strategic planning, and act as the constant link between our management team, including Directors and Project Managers; They manage our entire presence in the virtual world including all the recruiting platforms. They will be assigned some new roles in the future: planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices; maintain the work structure by updating job info; establishing a refined recruiting and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; recommending changes; and preparing interns for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Communication and interpersonal skills; maintain professional decorum; open to meeting new people regularly; confident in their email sending abilities; exemplary behavior; organizational skills; google sheets/docs/drive/meet
- Business Management: One of the most critical intern positions at NSTEM is becoming a member of the Business Management Team which collaborates on time sensitive and comprehensive decisions that impact the entire organization. Interns in this team will do market research and writing projects; legal research and implementation of findings; trademark work; handbook design, business and project plans and Standard Operating Procedures, and pitching the highest level partnerships. Collectively the department team members work in concert to bring tangible results to our expansion. They assist the President and CEO in directing all the teams above to maximize output with minimizing effort. The Business Management Team also is responsible for curating a $200 million Resource Library and discovers, evaluates, and enters these resources into the library. Additionally, the Business Management Team collaborates frequently with other departments such as Social Media, Website, Public Relations, and more.
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Communication and interpersonal skills; exemplary research skills; eager to learn and take on new challenges; strong work ethic; enthusiasm for business; Verbal and written communication skills; maintain professional decorum; open to meeting new people regularly; confident in their email sending abilities; excellent time management skills; strong creative thinking skills