The position will offer the successful candidate the opportunity to have exposure to many aspects of insurance asset management. In particular, the analyst will support the investment team in implementing and monitoring portfolio management strategies for insurance and annuity product segments and the general account. Monitor portfolio risk parameters (e.g., duration, cash flows, credit quality, etc.) in relation to asset-liability management and regulatory/accounting guidelines. Additionally, the Junior Investment Analyst will support and participate in various projects within the investment team and across the group (approx. 50% of workweek), including CIO, Research and Portfolio Management, Investment Reporting, and Business Development.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the investment team in managing the daily investment activity for insurance and annuity product segments and the general account.
- Coordinate the allocation of assets to legal entity balance sheets considering insurance specific aspects of capital, liquidity, and risk.
- Research markets, industries, and issuers.
- Assist in the development or enhancement of reporting tools to monitor portfolio allocation, risk limits, investment plan, earnings budget, and others.
- Assist in the implementation and tracking of the Strategic Asset Allocation (SAA) benchmarks at the legal entity level.
- Monitor existing third-party mandates across core, core-plus, and opportunistic fixed income strategies.
- Regular communication with key stakeholders across the group, including Enterprise Risk Management, Finance, Investment Operations and Reporting, Portfolio Management, and Treasury.
- Be involved in the monthly and quarterly internal and external reporting cycle, including the preparation of presentations to executive management and external parties.
- Support and participate in various projects within the investment team and across the group (50% of workweek), including CIO, Research and Portfolio Management, Investment Reporting and Business Development.
- Any other duties and responsibilities as required by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, mathematics, economics, or equivalent.
- 1-2 years of work experience in the financial services industry. Experience in and knowledge of insurance asset management is a plus.
- Good understanding of capital markets.
- Strong analytic and interpersonal skills (teamwork, negotiating and problem solving).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Bloomberg and Microsoft Office software suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Natural self-starter with an appreciation for extreme ownership, accountability, and commitment to the intensity and challenges presented by the needs of a growing business.
- Strong presence and the ability to be versatile in a fast paced, high growth organization. Sensitive to and accountable for upholding high cultural standards.
- Pursuit of Chartered Financial Analyst (“CFA”) professional designation expected.
Visit our Careers page and apply online at www.nfg.com.