The May Center School for Autism and Developmental Disabilities in West Springfield is currently accepting resumes for a Registered Nurse to provide school nurse services to children and adolescents, ages 3-22, with autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities Monday through Friday during the school day.
This position is ideal for candidates from a variety of nursing backgrounds that are looking for a school environment, small caseload and a focus on quality and individualized health services. We provide mentoring, support and training for RNs interested in the field of school nursing.
For six decades, May Institute has set the national standard for providing comprehensive, research-based services to children and adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disabilities, brain injury and mental illness.
May Institute blends science with service to help make progress possible for thousands of children, adults, and families each year.
Join us in our mission to promote independence, choice, dignity and respect for those we serve.
- Provide emergency care for students in the event of injury or sudden illness
- Administer medication to students with parent/guardian and physician consent
- Conduct staff training on CPR and first aid, medication side effects, inhalers and other health related topics
- Track and request annual physical and dental exams from families
- Complete immunization surveys through MDPH as needed
- Provide intake assessment and annual assessments for each student served
- Attend student intake and other student meetings as needed
- Maintain secure and up-to- date student health records on all students
- Serve as a liaison between primary care physicians (PCP), psychiatrists and other health care specialists involved in the treatment of the individual served
- Promote health education though creating and/or sharing pertinent health updates and healthy lifestyle information with staff and families.
- Management of medication administration and epinephrine training program
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred
- Current RN licensure in the state of MA required
- Previous experience providing care to individuals with Developmental Disabilities preferred
- Previous experience as a school nurse preferred
- Maintain Safety Care and CPR/ First Aid certification (provided)
- Availability to work the following schedule: Monday through Thursday 8:15 AM – 2:45PM and Friday 8:15 AM – 3:15PM for a total of 33 hours per week including summer