This role is eligible for up to $4,000 in bonuses as well as up to $2,000 for relocation expenses!
In joining Mastery as an English Teacher you will work with your students to foster their development in critical thinking, questioning, critiquing, and understanding the written word. It is well-documented that the opportunity gap in the United States is a literacy gap and by taking on the mantle of an English Teacher you will work daily to set our students up for long-term success and ensure they get a world-class education.
As an English Language Arts teacher we know you love reading intrinsically and have unwavering belief in holding the bar high for all readers. Ideally, you have familiarity with balanced literacy instruction and you are eager to teach the building blocks of strong reading practices. In 6th grade, you and your students engage with Text Study broken into thematic units while learning to comprehend and analyze complex grade-level texts as required by the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Starting in 7th Grade and continuing through 12th Grade our students engage in thematic units while learning to comprehend and analyze complex grade-level texts as required by the Common Core State Standards. Students read, analyze, and write about nonfiction, literature, and poetic texts. Your passion for literature and language arts will spur your students to discover their own voices, better understand their world, and interpret and process the feelings and experiences they live.
At Mastery we value Continuous Improvement and want you to learn and grow in your craft. We utilize a team of Assistant Principals, central-office coaches, and school-based content teams to provide every teacher coaching and feedback. We have professional development or peer collaboration time built into our calendar every Wednesday (when students are dismissed early). You will receive more than 250 hours of professional development annually and have a professional development allowance to use to further your growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commit to ongoing professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Develop and implement rigorous and appropriate lesson plans, assignments, and assessments in cooperation with Mastery school-based leadership and curricular resources developed by Mastery’s Central Office Academic Team
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, plan events for joy and humor, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage families in their children’s education by building relationships and maintaining regular communication
- Demonstrate genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- Commit to professional growth, self-reflection, a receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Teacher certification – completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Commitment to and experience working with underserved communities
- Determination to drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- A positive mindset and a drive for personal excellence
- Solutions-oriented resiliency to respond positively and effectively to challenges
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies