Under general supervision of the laboratory manager, the research technologist performs diagnostic genetic testing, equipment maintenance, solution and reagent preparation, monitors inventory in addition to other tasks in a highly complex clinical diagnostic laboratory. The technologist performs a wide range of diagnostic lab procedures in a timely manner with high degree of accuracy and precision and with an understanding of theory behind tests and procedures.
- Following laboratory SOPs and with close attention to detail, carry out a wide range of moderate to complex genomics techniques, including DNA/RNA extraction, next-generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation/target enrichment, microarrays, and Sanger sequencing for diagnostic-based genetic analyses.
- Operate and maintain lab equipment such as sequencers, thermal cyclers, ultra-centrifuges and other scientific equipment related to diagnostic testing.
- Accessioning of patient samples into clinical laboratory databases.
- Collect, analyze and interpret results. Record quality control metrics.
- Perform key experiments to develop and validate new methods and protocols to add to diagnostics testing menu.
- Review and write reports, protocols and SOPs.
- Meticulous record keeping and to be able to follow CLIA/CLIA-like standard.
- Carry out troubleshooting experiments as needed.
- Take routine laboratory responsibilities and comply with lab quality control policies and procedures. Pro-actively determine appropriate corrective action and follow up.
- Provide functional guidance and immediate supervision to lower level technical personnel.
- May teach moderately difficult to complex lab techniques to students and fellows.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
BS/MS degree in life science with 2+ years of relevant molecular biology lab experience including NGS.
Experience with DNA extraction, Sanger sequencing and/or NGS (Illumina platform) highly desired.
Expertise in use and programming of automation is a plus.
Organized, methodical, and attention to detail required.
Please indicate whether you are authorized to work for any company in the United States, whether you have a work permit and if you do have a work permit, what type it is.
Laboratory environment with designated desk, phone lines and computer.
Consistent with standard office environment.