General Summary/ Overview:
The Voice Communications Engineer I maintain telecommunications and information technology network systems such as Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM), Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Contact Center (UCCE) and Cisco Emergency Responder (CER) relating to move, add, and change work orders. This position works as part of a project team as it relates to voice and data implementations and support.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Telecommunications team in the implementation of projects such as voice, contact center, messaging, and conferencing applications.
- Meets with department management and consultants to assess Telecommunications and Information Systems’ needs related to voice and data networks by surveying areas for work order requests and makes recommendations.
- Works with outside vendors on tasks for troubleshooting voice and data networks including SIP, T1 and POTS.
- Assists in processing all Voice and Data Telecommunications work order requests through programming telecommunications systems and distributes work to appropriate individuals.
- Works closely with all parties involved as part of a project team including Network Engineering, Network Services, and outside vendors for completing project tasks such as phones and voicemail deployments.
- Provides technical and administrative direction to peers and other staff through training on Telecommunications department policies and procedures to ensure proper installation and configuration of Voice over IP applications, PBX, Voice Mail.
- Maintains inventory of extension numbers for distribution to departments on new installations on a spreadsheet database to provide a cohesive numbering scheme for the organization.
- Assists in maintaining standards to ensure proper billing allocation to departments for telecommunications expenses and accuracy for maintaining inventory of telecommunications services.
- Communicates planned or unplanned disruption of service to clients and Informational Systems staff in a timely manner.
- Communicates work progress to management to ensure that other systems are not adversely affected on an as needed basis or as part of weekly staff meetings.
- Adheres to project deadlines, scheduling, and priorities. Response time is often critical.
- Adheres to Telecom VoIP standards and specifications.
- Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or the equivalent experience required.
- 3+ years experience in a Telecommunications customer service related position and a general understanding of the Telecommunications Department in a multi-site healthcare system is required.
- 1-3 years’ experience with Cisco Unified Communications products such as Communications Manager (CUCM), Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Contact Center (UCCE) and CER.
- Knowledge of Windows 2007 and Windows 10. Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Project, PowerPoint and Visio.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to manage multiple customer priorities at a given time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with diverse, cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
- Ability to work independently with general supervision.
- No direct reports; may indirectly provide leadership and guidance to less seasoned and new staff
- No direct budgetary responsibility
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by effectively using Mass General Brigham resources
- On call 7 x24
- Local travel to Mass General Brigham sites as needed
MGB has implemented special remote working policies due to COVID-19. These policies are subject to change; however, it is currently expected that this position will work remotely (e.g. from home) full time through September 2021
- Standard Office Environment
- Possible local travel to Mass General Brigham sites
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk; or hear; use hands to finger; handle; or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop; kneel; or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Normal office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate