Systems Reliability Engineering Intern
IEX (IEX Group, Inc.) is dedicated to providing access and improving performance across industries, via our portfolio of Exchange, Digital Assets and Technology businesses. Founded in 2012, IEX launched a new kind of securities exchange in 2016 that combines a transparent business model with innovative design to better protect investors and level the playing field. Today, we’re applying our experience and proprietary technology to remove barriers, unlock scale, and help people seize new opportunities for growth in a variety of industries.
About the Role:
IEX is looking for a Systems Reliability Engineering Intern to join our team responsible for building, maintaining, and operating our systems.
You’ll work on the team responsible for daily operations and evolution of IEX’s systems, which support our exchange and other ancillary businesses. You’ll have opportunities to develop your knowledge of system design, reliability, distributed systems engineering, capacity planning, and performance analysis. You’ll get to work alongside experts and learn all about the inner workings of the US capital markets and equities trading. You’ll get hands on experience with customized Linux distributions, building cloud infrastructure, developing CLI tools, automation, and working with large datasets. The role also comes with the knowledge that the work you are doing actually matters, both to the company and to the world at large.
About the Team:
This team manages bare metal as well as virtualized infrastructure. We build, deploy, and maintain production, test, and auxiliary environments. Our primary tools and areas of expertise include Python, Ansible, Bash, Terraform, Rust, and Go.
- Linux – You know your way around and are comfortable on a command line. Maybe you’ve tinkered with a Raspberry Pi.
- Programming – You enjoy programming and have developed an application before. You are familiar with the basic fundamentals of software design, data structures, and algorithms. You use a versioning system, preferably git. You write tests for your code, or at least attempt to, more often than not.
- Data Analysis – You enjoy working with data to deliver interesting insights. Maybe you’ve even written some Jupyter notebooks, batch, or other types of large-scale processing.
- Automation – You’ve thrown shell or other scripting language type of scripts together to automate things you don’t need to spend your time on. maybe even have graduated to something more like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet. Unnecessary manual processes that can be easily automated frustrate you, and you do what you can to prevent yourself from being a human keyboard.
- Monitoring – Any monitoring experience is great. We’re more interested in your thought process and having an approach that is thoughtful about what to monitor and why, along with designing actionable alerts.
- Nice-to-Haves – The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, willing to engage in and be calm during stressful situations, and able to communicate openly and effectively. We’re looking for someone willing to learn (and teach!) as much as possible and take on increasing levels of responsibility while having fun and helping us continue to deliver and operate reliable systems.
Further Reading/Watching that Might be Interesting:
- SRECon: Netflix
- How Complex Systems Fail
- SRE Versus DevOps
- The Future of Ops Is Platform Engineering
- Drift Info Failure
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay is $30.00/hour for this NY-based position. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace and culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws and protects workers’ rights but is vital to IEX’s overall mission and values.