IBM is a global cognitive and cloud company changing the way the world works. We foster a culture of creative, innovative thinkers; people who are curious about how technology can transform businesses and impact the world. Our consultants are part of IBM Consulting where we engage with clients across every industry to deliver technology-driven solutions. We cultivate a diverse, inclusive, global team of people who want to pioneer, reimagine and disrupt the future.
Here’s where you come in. We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network and jumpstart their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash your potential, IBM Consulting is for you.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- During your 10-12 week summer internship, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to: Join our IBM North America intern community and meet other IBMers during networking events, special team events and career development activities.
- Meet with a mentor to help envision what your future at IBM could look like.
- Participate on a consulting project or initiative and experience first-hand how we help organizations transform and stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Learn how we focus on our clients’ technical and organizational needs to co-create solutions that add value.
- Work on a high-performing team to collaboratively deliver for clients. Depending on the project, you’ll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of our client’s future state goals and processes, then define the steps needed and leading technologies to help turn their goals into reality.
- Learn about a client’s industry, tackle new challenges, and learn about how their organization and technology intersect.
At IBM, we prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical and core skills, and investing in your personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and mentorship – you’ll get exposure to all that and more as an intern.Since IBM provides a variety of consulting services to our clients, the specific work and technologies you’ll learn will vary depending on your assigned team.
As a Developer intern, you may:
- Work in an Agile environment alongside other developers to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers.
- Learn and apply IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
- Assist in creating deliverables from mockups and UI components to algorithms and data structures.
- Perform Quality Assurance (QA) on a project’s code to better understand the framework and be able to find the source of bugs and defects within the project
- Gain exposure to a variety of relational databases (SQL, Postgres, DB2, MongoDB), operating systems (Linux, Windows, iOS, Android), and modern UI frameworks (Backbone.js, AngularJS, React, Ember.js, Bootstrap, and JQuery).
- Understand an entire system architecture for a project – from backend to front end, to design, develop, and support high quality, scalable products and interfaces.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Track record of academic success.
- Highly motivated with a strong growth mindset – take the initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to look at things differently, debug, troubleshoot, design, and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- Interest in working across architecture – building both front end and backend.
- Exposure to modern UI frameworks such as Angular.js and React.
- Basic understanding of Cloud – AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, or IBM Cloud.
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Currently in pursuit of BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or another STEM field