IBM is a global cognitive and cloud company changing the way the world works. We foster a culture of creative, innovative thinkers; people who are curious about how technology can transform businesses and impact the world. Our consultants are part of IBM Consulting where we engage with clients across every industry to deliver technology-driven solutions. We cultivate a diverse, inclusive, global team of people who want to pioneer, reimagine and disrupt the future.
Here’s where you come in. We’re looking for passionate, original thinkers who want to drive progress, grow their network and jumpstart their careers. If you see yourself as someone who never stops learning, who believes no problem is too big to solve, and who wants to unleash your potential, IBM Consulting is for you.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- During your 10-12 week summer internship, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to: Join our IBM North America intern community and meet other IBMers during networking events, special team events and career development activities.
- Meet with a mentor to help envision what your future at IBM could look like.
- Participate on a consulting project or initiative and experience first-hand how we help organizations transform and stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Learn how we focus on our clients’ technical and organizational needs to co-create solutions that add value.
- Work on a high-performing team to collaboratively deliver for clients. Depending on the project, you’ll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of our client’s future state goals and processes, then define the steps needed and leading technologies to help turn their goals into reality.
- Learn about a client’s industry, tackle new challenges, and learn about how their organization and technology intersect.
At IBM, we prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical and core skills, and investing in your personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and mentorship – you’ll get exposure to all that and more as an intern.
Work you could do as a Data Scientist: Since IBM provides a variety of consulting services to our clients, the specific work and technologies you’ll learn will vary depending on your assigned team.
As a Data Scientist intern, you may:
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other data scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
- Communicate with clients to understand and define organizational needs and appropriate modelling techniques to provide analytical solutions.
- Partner to implement and validate predictive and prescriptive models, create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
- Incorporate a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques in your project.
- Assist in writing programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner.
- Use leading edge and open-source tools such as Python and R combined with IBM tools and our AI application suites.
- Evaluate modelling results and communicate the results to technical and non-technical audiences.
LOCATION: HAMPTON, VA
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Track record of academic success.
- Highly motivated with a strong growth mindset – take the initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about business, product and technical challenges in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to look at things differently, debug, troubleshoot, design and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- Strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and experience with a programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- Basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, Python, or SAS, SPSS, MATLAB.
- Basic understanding of Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively in an intense team environment, while building direct working relationships across IBM and client teams.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative analysis skills and can derive recommendations informed by data and insights.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Currently in pursuit of BA/BS in Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Business Intelligence, Operations Research, Engineering