SALARY LEVEL: $21.00-24.00 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Huntington Medical Research Institutes is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving lives through patient-focused scientific research. Our brand-new state of the art laboratory anchors the biomedical corridor on South Fair Oaks in Pasadena. Our scientists’ research focuses on the connection between the brain and heart, developing diagnostic tools to help treat common diseases of these vital organs that affect every family.
The Research Assistant’s primary purpose is to assist the Senior Research Scientist in setting up new lab at HMRI. The Research Assistant must be comfortable with rodent models and isolate primary cardiomyocytes for ongoing research in the laboratory, will maintain primary cell culture, will work with the PI and other lab members on experiments and upkeep of laboratory. Some in-house training will be offered for the specific methods and equipment.
The Research Assistant reports directly to the Senior Research Scientist and interfaces with other HMRI staff members from the cardiovascular department (research scientists, technicians, and laboratory supervisors).
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Assist in preparation of primary cardiomyocytes, astrocytes, and neonatal rat heart cells
- Maintain animal colony genotyping and record keeping as well as maintaining several lines of cultured cells, prepare chemical solutions, and assist PI and other lab members with experiments
- Perform laboratory and tissue culture facility maintenance duties (including ordering supplies, assuring that lab equipment is kept in working condition and general clean up)
- Interact easily with faculty, postdoctoral scholars, students, and other research staff in a medium sized laboratory
- May be involved with analysis of data, presentations, writing, etc.
- The Research Assistant also performs a wide range of job duties as assigned and requested.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with 2+years of laboratory experience
- Theoretical knowledge of biological science, chemistry, biochemistry or molecular biology or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Experience handling mice, breeding management
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures and equipment, including preparation of buffers
- Knowledge of tissue culture and experience with maintenance of tissue culture facility
- Ability to follow basic research protocols and follow instructions closely
- Attention to protocols and details.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively.
- Ability to communicate with colleagues and superiors, including asking questions and notification of problems
- Experience with preparing primary cultures, maintaining cell lines, and preparing chemical solutions.
- Outstanding computer skills. Must be proficient with MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good judgment and decision-making capability
- Observes laboratory safety and security procedures
- Uses laboratory equipment and materials properly
- Must be a reliable and conscientious self-starter, with excellent attention to detail and ability to coordinate multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, building respect, consensus, and trust across reporting lines