Research Assistant – Remote
Do you want to help promote transparency and clearer choices in health care? Come work on a research and consulting team that’s making it happen! We’re looking for someone with a passion for data who wants to be part of an innovative, expanding team within our organization.
Who We Are
The Human Services Research Institute (HSRI) is a nonprofit organization that conducts research and evaluation to improve health and human service systems. We work at the local, state and federal level. We help develop measures, data collection instruments and protocols, advanced analytics, and data visualization strategies. Our goal is to help public agencies understand and demonstrate the real-world impact of the services they provide, helping them transform their policies and practice to produce meaningful outcomes.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. This is a remote position but with the eventual option of working from our Cambridge, Massachusetts office, which is accessible by public transportation.
What We’re Looking For
We’re seeking a full-time Research Assistant to join the data management and quality assurance team within our Population Health research team. You’d be responsible for assisting the Quality Analysts in the review of data for outliers and inconsistencies, communicating with internal and external stakeholders about data quality issues, and assisting in the release of data used to improve services and systems and inform policy decisions. Interest in the health care and public health field and working with health care insurance claims data is essential.
We’re looking for an individual who enjoys working as part of a team. The ideal candidate is someone who can manage multiple priorities; who develops and maintains detailed quality health care claims information to communicate to clients, data users, and coworkers; who can clearly communicate that complex information to a non-analyst audience both in meetings and in writing; and who listens and contributes to a sharing of diverse perspectives.
· Assist with health data reporting
· Examine data for outliers
· Help track data quality issues and version control
· Assist with editing and formatting of data visualizations and supporting documents
· Conduct literature searches and review current events in the health care field
· Perform proofreading and fact checking
- Manage documentation on data quality checks and procedures in accordance with internal standards and guidelines
· Assist in the management and communication of data quality issues to internal and external stakeholders
· BA/BS in a business, public health, economics, or social science discipline
· Familiarity with relational database concepts
· Experience writing code in SQL (any application); experience writing code in SAS, SPSS, R or Stata may count as a substitute depending on other qualifications
· Intermediate skills in Excel (e.g., creating and editing formulas, creating pivot tables)
· One undergrad course in statistics or one year of professional experience with statistics
· Great communication skills, both verbal and in writing
· Experience conducting literature searches
· Excellent attention to detail and strong commitment to high-quality work
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Strong organizational skills
· Familiarity with data visualization software such as Tableau (preferred) or another similar program
· Familiarity with health care claims data
Full Time – 40 hours
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume/CV through HSRI’s Career Center.
You can also cut/paste the URL into your browser: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=hsri&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
Materials can also be mailed to:
Attention: Human Resources
Human Services Research Institute
2336 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02140
No phone calls, please