Hachette Book Group’s summer internship program offers individuals an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. To learn more about the company, visit our career site: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/about/careers/
Program dates: June 5th – August 11th (10 weeks)
Location: This position will be fully remote OR be based in our NY office on a two-day per week hybrid schedule. Company laptop will be provided for the duration of the program.
Weekly schedule: 28 hours per week, Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Pay rate: $15/hour
As an HBG Managing Editorial Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
- Interested in exploring a career in book publishing
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
What you will learn:
- Applying for Library of Congress CIP data
- Style manuscripts for XML workflow and send to freelance copyeditors
- Review copyedited manuscripts before submitting for editorial review; after editorial review, reconcile all changes and queries and perform cleanup before delivering to Production.
- Print page mechanicals and send to freelance proofreaders
- Collate editorial markup with proofreader markup before delivering to Production
- Check that changes and corrections have been made correctly
- Transmitting and reviewing reprint changes
- Proofread cover copy and cover and insert mechanicals
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume and cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.