Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (LBYR) is seeking an editorial assistant who is passionate and knowledgeable about children’s book publishing. The Editorial Assistant will report to the Publisher and a Senior Editor and is responsible for providing administrative and editorial support, involved in all stages of the acquisition, editorial, and book making processes for picture books, middle grade, and young adult fiction and nonfiction, with a particularly strong emphasis on children’s picture books. One year of publishing and/or office experience a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interact professionally with authors and literary agents, as well as internal departments within LBYR and HBG, including design, publicity, marketing, production, sales.
- Prepare materials for and traffic editorial projects through all stages of the editorial process from acquisition through final book.
- Report on the status of individual projects at update meetings with other departments.
- Enter title data into proprietary database systems and maintain data throughout the publishing process, as well as beyond publication for both frontlist and backlist titles.
- Draft and circulate contract forms.
- Draft descriptive copy and fact sheets that will be used to introduce books to the sales and marketing departments.
- Attend and prepare materials for editorial, marketing, and sales meetings as required.
- Read, report on, log in, track, and respond to submissions.
- Research book sales using internal and external databases.
- Participate in brainstorming meetings and share ideas for projects.
- Perform administrative duties, including: scheduling, photocopying, handling mail, directing/responding to inquiries, ordering office supplies, maintaining book archives, filing expense reports, coordinating business travel, maintaining contact database, misc. research projects, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate, open-minded, and curious about children’s literature
- Be enthusiastic about the creative process and sharing ideas
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Be highly organized, capable of multi-tasking, and detail-oriented
- Be able to work effectively with colleagues at every level of seniority
- Be self-directed and able to work independently
- Demonstrate imagination, creativity, and original thinking
- Be proficient in email, calendar management, and file management tools (experience in publishing-specific data management a plus)
- Be proficient in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and other like tools
How to apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation of $45,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.