Reports to: Head of School
Status: Full-time, 12-month position
Location: In reasonable proximity to Lawrence, MA
Esperanza Academy, an independent middle school for girls from Lawrence, Massachusetts, seeks a creative, highly motivated Director of Marketing and Communication. Working to support the Head of School, and in close collaboration with the Leadership Team, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing a broad communications program that advances the vision of Esperanza Academy. The Director provides day-to-day strategy and guidance to articulate Esperanza’s goals and successes in a clear and compelling way to a variety of key audiences. The director ensures an integrated approach to the school’s marketing communications and coordinates outreach to the media, serving as school spokesperson as needed.
The Director plays a leadership role in communicating the vision, the voice, and the unique brand identity of Esperanza. Through skillful storytelling in multi-media digital and print platforms, the Director demonstrates Esperanza’s commitment to its mission through thoughtful, targeted constituent communications.
About Esperanza Academy At Esperanza Academy, we are fortunate to serve our students, their families, and the community of Lawrence. We are a tuition-free independent middle school with a 12-year commitment to our students because we believe that everyone deserves the right to high-quality independent school education. Our school is a revolutionary antidote to racism; we, as an academic community, emphasize racial and cultural identity affirmation, love of community, and restorative justice. By creating a culture of achievement in which academic success and self-discovery are paramount, we protect and nurture the innate confidence that each of our girls possess. We accomplish this by being a restorative justice school that believes that relationships must come first. We believe that it is critical to center the lived experiences and cultural backgrounds of our families and to create a program that honors each of our students and the depth of beauty in their cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Work with the leadership team to identify communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Work collaboratively across departments to ensure that our communications reflect our broad range of programmatic initiatives including , Restorative Justice, Music Therapy, Graduate Support and the Academic programs.
- Work closely with the Director of Development on creating strategic communications to our various stakeholders including a corporate communication strategy.
- Oversee writing, design and production of annual report of giving.
- Initiate, manage, and oversee a communications strategy that strategically places Esperanza as thought leaders in urban education.
- Assist with conceptualizing, writing, and editing of core messages such as the Head of School speeches and written communications.
- Help creatively shape the narrative about the work of Esperanza to be appealing to community members, media, and funders.
- Maintain relevance, accuracy, consistency, and timeliness in messaging to target audiences.
- Create communication plans and materials for select advancement goals, including planned giving, corporate giving, capital fund raising and other marketing collateral.
- Promote select news about Esperanza events, people, and programs to the media.
- Coordinates development of admission advertising to reach targeted audiences.
- Ensure that Esperanza’s brand identity is consistent through our marketing and admissions collateral, website, and grant applications.
- Develop and monitor the related budget.
- Tracking and evaluating social media campaign analytics as well as measuring the impact of Esperanza’s communication strategy.
- Experience: 10+ years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in transferable field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Skills: The position requires a sophisticated range of communications and technical expertise including writing, public speaking, traditional and digital media knowledge, graphic design, photography/videography, and website management. The ideal candidate has a critical eye with a creative touch, strong interpersonal skills, and a proven track record of taking complex projects from start to finish. They will have experience with a variety of content management systems, working knowledge of the Adobe creative suite, and hands-on experience with SEO and web analytics.
- We are a mission-based institution. Our staff thrives when they are passionate about culturally responsive teaching and restorative justice.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Esperanza Academy offers an attractive benefits package including 403(b), medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, and a comprehensive professional development program. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided by our executive chef.
Please send a cover letter specifically detailing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and contact information for three professional references to Mr. Jadihel Taveras, Head of School.
Consistent with the values of an Episcopal school, Esperanza is committed to a diverse and inclusive community with respect to race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status, economic circumstance, age, and physical disability in its student body, faculty and staff. Esperanza Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, and athletic and other school-administered programs. We strongly encourage applications from women and minority candidates. Esperanza Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.