Under the general supervision of the School Principal, plan and organize instruction in ways that maximize student learning through coaching, employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter; including strategies to meet the diverse staff needs.
The Dayton Way
- Support and maintain the District’s core principles in the areas of professionalism, curriculum, instruction, culture, and customer service. Demonstrate courage, compassion, patience, and a passion for teaching in daily activities.
- Meet the challenges of delivering education in an urban school setting. Use instructional methods to help struggling learners reach grade level.
- Navigate competing instructional initiatives and find ways to apply them to the classroom effectively.
- Build confidence in students, parents, and guardians that academic achievement is attainable through high expectations and sustained effort.
- Collaborate and engage effectively with teachers and administrators to implement instructional strategies that promote student success in content areas.
- Build positive rapport and trust with families and community partners to facilitate their engagement in education efforts.
- Participate in district-organized professional development activities and seek out opportunities for self-development to improve instruction design and delivery skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Incumbent performs a majority of the following duties)
- Design and model engaging and differentiated instruction based on analyzed student data
- Collaborate effectively with other teachers and administration to implement instructional strategies that promote student success in content areas
- Ensure coherence in students’ educational programs by coordinating instruction, discussing student work, and sharing best practices, including flexible student grouping
- Select, develop, and use a variety of diagnostic, formative and summative assessment to inform instruction and ensure student learning
- Conduct data chats to analyze assignments and assessments in order to evaluate students’ progress, strengths and areas of need and plan for next instructional steps.
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team which includes regular attendance at work
- Utilize the MTSS process to support student achievement?
- Ability to integrate and model the use of technology into instructional delivery and use data to support, drive and shape decision making (Data Folders); Provides appropriate resources and learning materials for teachers
- Must be able to build positive rapport with staff, families and community partners
- Commitment to his/her own learning and professional development and ability to participate in professional course offerings as needed
- Ability to assist teachers with teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests
- Monitor the use of curriculum standards, pacing guidelines or requirements of the state and school district
- Works with the curriculum team to revise pacing guides, courses of study, review curriculum standards, and guidelines or requirements of district
- Serve as a role model and coach to support teachers
- Provide job-embedded professional development with accountability for teachers’ student outcomes
- Help teachers implement effective teaching strategies in a specific subject or for a specific student population
- Help teachers interpret student data and identify effective instructional strategies based on needs
- Facilitate professional development when needed
- Monitor Teacher Based Teams
- Support teacher’s use of district approved materials and resources to explore and manipulate
- Models and Use computers, audiovisual aids, and other technology in instruction
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of programs
- Prepare reports as required by administration
- Attends professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required
- When needed, co-teach to model classroom instruction
- Serve as a mentor, coach and data strategist to teachers to support learning
CORE BEHAVIORS & COMPETENCIES
- Coping with Stress = think critically and solve problems in difficult situations; capable of handling interruptions effectively
- Interpersonal Skills = successfully interact and engage with students, families, colleagues, administrators, and others; enjoy working with children
- Presentation Skills = creatively share information verbally and in writing to build interest and engage student learners; organize and present information in meaningful, easy-to-understand ways
- Adaptability and Flexibility = willingness to change methods and approaches as appropriate
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have the legal right to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor degree or higher from an accredited institution. Relevant teaching experience is preferred.
- Current and valid State license. Must be highly qualified in the area of content.
Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrable successful interactions with others
- Excellent understanding of curriculum across subject areas, the State Standards, and the importance of literacy and language based approaches to teaching all content areas.
- Clear understanding of curriculum, differentiated instruction, and child development
- Must possess ability to utilize technology in the enhancement of student learning
- Have ability to work collaboratively in a team situation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of a wide range of instructional and intervention strategies
- Ability to problem solve and think critically.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear.
- Frequent requirement to sit, stand, walk, hear, see, read, speak, reach, stretch with hands and arms, crouch, kneel, stoop, and climb stairs.
- Travels to meetings/professional development and work assignments.
- Work is performed in classroom setting
- Occasional exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and tissue
- Occasional operation of a vehicle under implement weather conditions
- Occasional interactions with unruly people
- Occasionally lift, carry, push, and pull various items up to a maximum of 40 pounds (100 pounds on wheels).