The City of Wheaton Police Department is hiring a part-time Community Service Officer to join our growing team. The CSO is a civilian, uniformed position that works under the general direction of the Shift Commander and provides community service to citizens for, normally, non-emergency situations. Additionally, this role is responsible for assisting officers with parking related issues and other non-criminal related offenses. This is an excellent opportunity for those who are interested in a future career in policing and are looking to gain experience in the field of law enforcement. Furthermore, employment as a City of Wheaton CSO qualifies for preference points on the City’s initial eligibility list for entry-level police officers. If you enjoy working with people and using independent, problem-solving abilities to make a difference in the community, we want to hear from you.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist residents and community members with non-emergency aid.
- Support the patrol division by assisting with traffic and “crowd control” at special events (parades, sporting events, etc.).
- Enforce various parking regulations by on-foot patrol of all City parking zones, lots and garages that are timed-control and/or paid – including chalking tires in metered areas, issuing tickets and handling parking complaints from residents and businesses.
- Assist motorists with various situations such as stalled cars and towing, provide transportation when appropriate.
- Remove roadway hazards and control and direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic using barriers, flares and hand signals.
- Assist Police Officers in locating missing children or adults, roadside child safety seat compliance checks, and investigating traffic accidents and private property damage.
- Pick up and deliver confidential records, reports, paperwork and large sums of petty cash and property at various locations throughout the City.
- Prepare reports related to found property, improperly stored autos, accident reports, animal bites, etc. as assigned.
- Interact with the public in a professional and courteous manner to maintain a positive image of the City of Wheaton Police Department
The qualifications listed below are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience, which could provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job will be considered.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Must have attained the age of 18-years of age. Experience in a customer service or criminal justice field is desirable.
Schedule: The part-time Community Service Officer will work approximately 15 hours per week. The schedule is flexible, however candidates must have availability to work mornings, afternoons, and evenings from Monday – Friday, as well as weekend availability as needed.
Salary and Benefits: Starting pay rate is $18.34 per hour.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a completed application and/or resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or to City of Wheaton, Human Resources, 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187.