Who we are
At CDP, we are on a mission to solve our planet’s biggest environmental challenges: climate change, water scarcity and deforestation. We believe you can’t manage what you don’t measure – so we run the world’s largest environmental disclosure system. For the past two decades, our team has worked tirelessly to create a thriving economy that works for people and planet in the long term – we accomplish this by engaging the global actors who wield the greatest influence in driving environmental change: companies, cities, governments and the capital markets.
CDP’s cascading global impact is powered by our tight-knit team of smart, savvy, curious and committed individuals, who share a common passion for creating a sustainable future. It is our people who make our work possible. And we provide our people with a working environment that empowers each individual to reach their full potential: one that is committed to equity; one that provides equal access for growth and development; and one that supports each individual throughout the full employee life cycle.
We are looking for a Technical Manager to join our Cities, States, and Regions team to be a technical expert for local governments (city, regional state governments) and public authorities with primary focus on climate change and attention to other issues. Public Authorities run all the critical systems used by millions of people each day – from airports to public transit to wastewater. CDP supports local governments in the across the world to measure, manage and report their progress on tackling climate change. You will support in consultation and develop a first-in-class questionnaire for public authorities aligned with the Task-Force on Climate-related Disclosures and develop associated guidance and support the program’s technical development over time. You will also provide CDP guidance and technical support to a subset of North American cities to set science-based targets in support of the Science Based Target Network and the UNFCCC Cities Race to Zero campaign.
Who you are
- You are a subject matter expert on sustainability with a particular focus on climate change, science-based target and net zero
- You have knowledge of the following with regards to governments and public authorities: drivers of deforestation, water security, resilience, adaptation, mitigation
- You are experienced in managing external relationships where various stakeholders with competing priorities/views come together and need to agree on a joint way forward
- You have a high level of self-motivation and drive
- You are a team player with the ability to work under pressure
- You are attentive to detail and commitment to achieving high standards
- You will ensure the accurate development of the inaugural Public Authorities questionnaire and associated guidance for this new pillar for CDP;
- You will provide technical support to cities, states and regions and public authorities in North America associated with their disclosure to CDP;
- You will support a subset of cities in North America to set Science-based Targets;
- You will prepare presentations and present information internally externally to partners or at key events;
- You will work very closely with the North American CDP’s Cities, States and Regions engagement team leads to ensure stakeholder requirements are reflected in the technical work;
The precise description and nature of your job may be varied from time to time, and you may be required to carry out other duties as necessary to meet business needs.
· You are familiar with Task-Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures
· You have previous experience of researching and producing written technical outputs
· You have experience engaging with the public sector specifically public authorities and local governments is advantageous
· You have an interest in working for an environmental NGO
· You have experience with Microsoft SharePoint as well as web publishing software
The role is a full-time fixed term contract for 6 months starting as soon as possible.
- Generous PTO. Tackling the world’s biggest environmental challenges is no easy feat – we offer a generous 20 days of annual leave to keep our employees energized.
- Paid holidays. We recognize 15 paid holidays, including winter break, and pay homage to our diversity by offering one additional floating holiday of your choice for religious or cultural celebrations, per year.
- Health and wellness. We strive to ensure the health and wellbeing of our staff –employees receive excellent health, dental and vision benefits and paid sick leave.
- Learning and career growth. We are committed to the growth and development of each individual team member. We offer continuous learning opportunities and training, and we even provide employees with an annual budget for personal development.
- Future planning: We know it is important to plan for the future. We provide our employees with both a non-contributory 401K, and an optional additional contributory 401K. We also offer life insurance.
- Commuter benefits: We know commuting can be a pain – we offer commuter benefits and a Citibike membership to employees to make life a little easier.
- Fun. We take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves (too) seriously. We regularly take time out for fun and festivities, from all-staff retreats, to happy hours, to summer outings and an end-of-year holiday celebration!
Are you interested in joining our mission? Please apply!
- To apply. Email your CV and a cover letter detailing why you’re a great fit for the role to: email@example.com with “<Technical Manager CSTAR >” in the subject line. We’ll be considering applications on a rolling basis.
- Before you apply: We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your resume and cover letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
- Compensation. We offer a competitive NGO salary.
- The fine print. We love and value our global employees. For this role, all interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the U.S.
CDP North America is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility both within our workplace and across our larger organizational impact. Candidates of color and/or from marginalized backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply for this role.