Salary Range: $59,466.00 To $59,466.00 (USD) Annually
The CDC Foundation helps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) save and improve lives by unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC, philanthropies, corporations, organizations and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world. The CDC Foundation is the sole entity authorized by Congress to mobilize philanthropic partners and private-sector resources to support CDC’s critical health protection mission. Since 1995, the CDC Foundation has launched approximately 1,000 programs and has served as a strategic partner to CDC during public health emergencies. This is an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation’s lead agency charged with protecting the public’s health.
The Syndromic Surveillance Epidemiologist will help support data exchange between hospital electronic health records and the syndromic surveillance system (ESSENCE). The position will perform regular and ad-hoc data analyses, and compile and disseminate reports while ensuring data quality and integrity. Location is Columbia, South Carolina.
• Provide vocabulary and messaging standards consultation.
• Provide consultation on syntax requirements.
• Validate HL7 messages.
• Support reporting activities of the Division of Informatics including electronic case reporting and COVID-19 reporting.
• Communicate with vendors regarding individual electronic health records systems.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be
discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law. We comply with all applicable laws including E.O. 11246 and the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria in accordance with 41 C.F.R. §§ 60-300.5(a)(12) and 60-741.5(a)(7). As a federal government contractor, we take affirmative action on behalf of protected veterans.
The CDC Foundation is a smoke-free environment.
Relocation expenses are not included.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Public Health, Information Systems, Computer Science or other system disciplines.
• One year of experience and literacy with health information systems including standard message formats (e.g., HL7).
• Familiarity with SAS or R.
• Experience with Tableau and electronic lab reporting standards and methodologies as well as familiarity with electronic health records terminology.
• Experience with syndromic surveillance systems (i.e. ESSENCE) or other public health surveillance systems preferred.
• Exposure to or knowledge of HIPAA and meaningful use reporting requirements preferred.