The Buzzards Bay Coalition seeks an experienced, efficient, and effective Director of Communications to implement its strategic communications objectives and help tell the story of Buzzards Bay. This is an opportunity to join the Coalition at a critical moment as it seeks to reverse declines in the health of Buzzards Bay by dramatically increasing the capacity of the organization. In the next year, the Coalition will be developing a new strategic plan, working to significantly increase membership, and launching a comprehensive marketing campaign for the Discover Buzzards Bay web tool.
The position is a hands-on job that demands an energetic, dependable candidate who possesses high attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience planning and creating digital and print materials, and the ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time. In return, the organization offers a great working environment, the opportunity to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization that has a direct impact on the future of our regional environment, and an outstanding quality of life on the shores of Buzzards Bay – all one hour from Boston and half an hour from each Providence and Cape Cod.
Founded in 1987, the Buzzards Bay Coalition is a nonprofit, membership organization dedicated to the restoration, protection and sustainable use and enjoyment of our irreplaceable Bay and its watershed. The Coalition works to improve the health of the Bay ecosystem for all through education, conservation, research and advocacy. The Coalition works throughout the entire Buzzards Bay Watershed and on Vineyard Sound to protect the region’s coastal, river and drinking water quality and the forests, wetlands and streams that support a healthy coastal watershed ecosystem.
We are a $3.5 million/year organization staffed by a team of 22 conservation professionals, aided by hundreds of volunteers, and supported by more than 10,000 members. The Coalition is headquartered at the Buzzards Bay Center in New Bedford’s Waterfront Historic District.
OUR WORK TODAY
The Buzzards Bay Coalition’s staff, programs and initiatives are organized to achieve the following Program Objectives:
- Community Engagement: To create both an informed public today and future generations of bay stewards who will understand the threats facing Buzzards Bay and their role in protecting it.
- Land Conservation: To increase the rate of land protection and the amount of protected land in the watershed, the Coalition pursues a Bay-focused land protection strategy, empowers local land trusts and educates private landowners about conservation.
- Science and Advocacy: To better understand the Buzzards Bay ecosystem and its response to human-related impacts by gathering data on the health of the Bay in order to guide restoration and protection. And to use that data to pursue the restoration and protection of the Bay ecosystem through citizen advocacy and through regulatory and legal processes at the local, state and federal levels.
The Director of Communications will operate within the Engagement team and be responsible for increasing public awareness of the challenges facing Buzzards Bay, building support for its protection, and establishing the Coalition as the source of information and programming to support and encourage more people to make personal connections with the Bay and the watershed.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Increase the public’s awareness of the Coalition, grow our audience, build latent support, and facilitate action for saving Buzzards Bay through a robust, community-based media relations and communications strategy.
- Implement and oversee the Coalition’s social media strategy across a variety of platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Manage technical requirements and changes to social media platforms and integrations with other channels.
- Write articles, blog posts, and press releases for the Coalition’s communication channels, including the Bay Buzz monthly e-newsletter.
- Coordinate and manage paid online advertising initiatives through channels, such as Facebook Ad Manager and Google AdWords.
- Manage the functionality of the Coalition’s website (www.savebuzzardsbay.org), facilitate hosting and server management, and develop, maintain and update content.
- Maintain, update, and promote the Discover Buzzards Bay web tool. Visit properties around the region to collect data, photos, and video footage.
- Use analytics to track the performance and efficacy of the website, social media, and digital marketing efforts, and prepare reports and recommendations on a quarterly basis.
- Investigate and recommend new marketing media technologies for the Coalition.
- Support organizational goals by creating high-quality print products including the Annual Report, the Bay Current newsletter, State of the Bay and other scientific reports, community backgrounders, and more.
- Develop engaging and informative interpretive signage to guide visitors at our learning centers and reserves across the region and ensure consistency with other messaging and programming.
- Assist in the organization, cataloging, and maintenance of the Coalition’s photo and video collections.
- Ensure that the Coalition’s events, including weekly Bay Adventures and the annual Buzzards Bay Swim, Team Buzzards Bay Run at the Falmouth Road Race and Buzzards Bay Watershed Ride, are reaching target audiences and meeting goals through effective marketing.
- Maintain professional relationships with vendors, including graphic designers, printers, and other vendors as needed to assist in the production and distribution of the Coalition’s print materials and promotional items.
- Supervise interns and/or volunteers in supporting strategic communications goals.
- Assist, as needed, with other departmental and organizational initiatives, including supporting engagement at Bay discovery sites, on outdoor exploration programs, and at workshops and events.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and minimum seven years of experience in marketing and communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrating accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in social media use and marketing.
- Experience with website management, developing both digital and print content, and graphic design software. Specific experience with Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge NXT, WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop a plus.
- Ability to remain current with changing use of various media for marketing, web development and outreach purposes.
- Video production and digital photography skills.
- Candidate must be a dependable professional, accepting responsibility for all they do. They must possess a high level of organization, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time.
- Enthusiastic, outward-facing, positive team player with a sense of humor and ability to inspire others.
- Strong project management skills, including coordinating with staff and outside vendors, anticipating challenges and finding solutions, and meeting deadlines and budgets.
- Experience developing content for HTML emails to increase open, click-through, and conversion rates.
- Experience managing and training staff and volunteers in outreach or communications.
- Knowledge of Buzzards Bay, Southeastern Massachusetts and an enthusiastic commitment to the conservation mission of the Buzzards Bay Coalition.
Highly competitive nonprofit salary plus excellent benefits including employer contributions towards Health Insurance and 401(k) Retirement plan and access to supplemental benefits.
The position is currently available. Interested applicants should respond by email with a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Downing, Vice President, Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org.