Brooklyn Community Services (BCS) was founded in 1866 and continues to help children and youth reach their full potential, strengthen families, and foster self-sufficiency in adults. Brooklyn Community Services is one of the oldest, not-for-profit, non-sectarian social service providers in New York City and one of the largest in Brooklyn.
Over the years, BCS has strengthened countless families at risk of separation; supported and stabilized people with psychiatric illnesses; helped adults with disabilities participate fully in the community; enabled people to move from welfare to work; and offered guidance, education and support to children and young adults. Through 40 programs, and over 400 staff, Brooklyn Community Services serves more than 20,000 people each year.
The Director of Human Resources is a key member of Brooklyn Community Services’ leadership team and responsible for overseeing the human relations department and functions for over 400 full- and part-time staff working at program sites throughout the Brooklyn borough. This integral position will lead and support the implementation of employee policies, DEI initiatives, and talent and professional development strategies.
- Implement HR efforts that support BCS’ mission, vision and values. Lead organizational culture building practices that mirror BCS’ strategic goals.
- Establish strategic goals and direction for Human Resources; provide leadership, oversight, and management of the Human Resources department. Partner with executive and management staff across BCS to address concerns and develop solutions.
- Responsible for agency-wide employee relations, staffing, benefits, onboarding and performance management.
- Create and deliver consultations and training to staff on a variety of HR issues; establish leadership development and staff management skill-building opportunities.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures; update and maintain Employee Policies and Procedures Handbook. Stay abreast of City, State, and Federal labor law and regulatory agencies. Communicate policies and pertinent issues to staff.
- Lead selection process for medical insurance and other health and welfare benefits, and negotiate contracts; liaise with brokers and stay abreast of health reform issues.
- Establish talent recruitment and retention strategies to meet the needs of BCS’ growth goals.
- Promote efficiency in HR operations by implementing and utilizing new technologies and systems. Stay abreast of best practices in HR.
- Ensure effective management of all HR database systems, including record compliance, accuracy and completeness. Leverage data for goal-setting, strategic decision-making and for HR analyses
- Lead employee relations practices and staff investigations as they arise.
- Oversee unemployment claims; liaise with relevant third party administrators.
- Ensure that compensation and benefit plans are comprehensive, cost-effective and competitive.
- Participate in BCS strategic planning. Monitor/ensure progress toward attainment of goals.
- Provide effective supervision for all departmental staff. Assess development and structure of the department.
- Serve as a member of the Day Care Council Collective Bargaining Team for union negotiations with DC 1707/Local 205.
- Other tasks as may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree or certification in Human Resources preferred
- 10+ years experience of human resources and management experience in the nonprofit sector
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to present to and train diverse audiences
- Inspirational team leader and team player
- Expert supervisory, interpersonal, conflict-resolution and coaching skills
- Excellent project management and policy implementation skills
- Strategic, self-motivated and ability to problem solve
- Strong knowledge of NY state employment laws and regulations
- Experience working with databases/human resource information systems; extremely detail-oriented
- Comfort with data metrics and use of reports to inform strategies and decision-making
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- Commitment to the work of Brooklyn Community Services