Under the general and direct supervision of the dentist, assists during the examination and treatment of patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare patient for dental treatment.
- Take blood pressure and pulse as required.
- Maintain dental instruments, materials and medications in the quantities to be used for general and specialized scheduled treatment.
- Keep oral operating areas clear during dental procedures.
- Prepare restorative materials and dental cements.
- Sterilize instruments using autoclaves or chemical disinfectants.
- Keep an inventory of materials issued and order supplies.
- Perform routine maintenance described as follows: lubricate equipment, sharpen dental hand instruments, replace expendable parts and clean operatories.
- Help patients with appointments, payments etc. when required.
- Take, develop and mount x-rays.
- Monitor radiation levels for occupation and safety hazards.
- Prepare work to be sent to dental laboratories.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
High school diploma plus training that leads to a basic knowledge of dental terminology and dental service procedures. One year’s experience in a general office. Problems not clearly defined by written directives or instructions are reviewed with dentist to determine course of action. Required to have Massachusetts State dental assistant license, dental certification from accredited school, radiology certification and CPR.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Works in a busy community health center in a high crime, urban neighborhood. Interruptions are present and can be disruptive to work flow. Stress is present due to high volume of work, diversified nature of activities and frequent crises and deadlines. Performs other employee’s duties to cover staff absences. Works overtime as needed for emergencies or to meet project deadlines. The individual must be in good health of mind and body with the physical dexterity and vision suitable to accomplish the job duties outlined above. Knowledge of proper patient transfer assistance is also required and the ability to lift as much as 25 pounds may be necessary. As part of the direct responsibilities, the employee will have direct exposure to toxic chemicals and infectious materials.