Works under general supervision, executes protocols involving a variety of routine and non-routine experiments at a professional level. May identify new techniques. Develops modification of existing techniques, as appropriate. In collaboration with other members of the research team, gives input to the development of design protocols. Calculates, transcribes, and analyzes data using statistical techniques.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs routine and non-routine experiments, which are moderate to complex. Experiments include cell culture, inoculation of tumors in mice, genotyping and phenotyping of mice during breeding experiments, western blotting, RNA and DNA extraction, PCR, transient transfection and lentiviral transduction. Skills in molecular cloning, immunoprecipitation, flow cytometry, processing of primary bone marrow samples and CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing are preferred but not required.
- Calculate, transcribes and analyzes data using advanced statistical techniques.
- Maintains long-term tissue cultures of human cell lines and monitors cells for viability and contamination.
- Coordinates schedule of tests and procedures.
- Performs literature searches and helps to prepare presentations and written articles for publication.
- In collaboration with PI or Research Manager, establishes new and modifies existing research techniques.
- Tracks lab expenditures to ensuring sustainable use of funds. Orders and tracks supplies and reagents for the lab to maintain inventory.
- Updates and maintains animal and biosafety protocols to ensure compliance with institutional, state, and federal regulations.
- Coordinates lab activities such as infection control, radiation safety, and bio-safety activities.
- Updates and maintains documents such as chemical and training records required by AALAC.
- Manages order requests including animal imports and exports from lab members.
- Organizes regular calibrations and timely repairs for lab equipment.
- Maintains organization and cleanliness of lab supplies and surfaces.
- Liaises with the Principal Investigator on a regular basis.
- All other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA in biological/physical science
- Two year employment commitment, preferred
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Sound analytical and organizational skills.
- Requires good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities.
- Ability to identify potential problems and trouble-shoot solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data statistically and to logically present it.
- Laboratory environment; occasionally works with radioactive isotopes, toxic chemicals, biohazards, and substances emitting unpleasant odors
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs, and comfortable working well in both a team-driven and independent research environment.