Participate in research investigating inflammatory processes in autoimmune diseases and cancer using mouse models. Specific tasks include: i) induce and evaluate disease models in mice, ii) conduct genotyping of mice and mouse husbandry on multiple strains of genetically engineered mice, iii) perform immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence on mouse and human tissue, iv) isolate leukocyte subsets and analyze functions in vitro, v) conduct live cell imaging and analysis of cell samples vi) complete ordering of supplies, equipment etc. Conduct experiments under general supervision. Execute established protocols and trouble shoot problems. Analyze and compile data.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under general supervision, design and perform experiments related to understanding inflammatory disease processes in mice. Induce and analyze disease and harvest and analyze appropriate tissue and blood samples.
- Perform immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence on cell and tissue samples.
- Conduct live cell imaging or image fixed samples and analyze results using a Nikon inverted Perfect focus microscope, a confocal microscope and appropriate software.
- Harvest leukocyte subsets from mouse organs and conduct experiments on the cells.
- Conduct 8-color flow cytometry and analysis.
- Genotype animals and maintain mouse strains in our colony. Assist in the basic design and modification of PCR techniques for genotyping genetically engineered animals. Organize and maintain colonies of genetically engineered animals and keep meticulous records of mouse genotypes and breeding. Complete paperwork for importation or shipment of mice.
- Complete all ordering of laboratory supplies, mice and equipment as requested. Maintain established department policies, procedures and objectives, including such areas as quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
- Bachelor of Science degree in biological/physical science or equivalent required
- Requires good analytical and organizational skills; an eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and logically represent it.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- On own initiative, ability to identify and trouble-shoot problems as necessary.
- Ability to work under general supervision.
- Willingness to handle and induce disease models in mice.