The Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology is recruiting for a full-time Research Assistant to work within Dr. Sushrut Waikar’s research team. The Waikar Lab is a clinical research group investigating potential biomarkers to help physicians better diagnose and treat kidney conditions such as acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease. The Research Assistant will assist in the efforts of multiple ongoing studies, in addition to pending grants and awards. Typical duties include but are not limited to consenting patients, managing clinical information databases, and generating IRB submissions.
Applicants are requested to provide a two-year commitment in this position. This position will provide work experience and mentoring opportunities for those considering graduate or medical school, or a career in research.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of research protocol to coordinate the comprehensive and compliant execution of assigned protocols.
- Coordinates the implementation and conduct of research projects ensuring adherence to research protocol requirements which may include: maintenance of regulatory documents and binders, data management, IRB submissions and communication of such to the research team
- Conducts or participates in the informed consent process including interactions with the IRB and discussions with research participant
- Monitors and reports project status
- Completes protocol related activities
- Collaborates with study team to schedule pre-site selection visits, site initiation visits, webinars, monitoring and close-out visits
- Maintains study personnel certification records (License, CV, CITI).
- Completes regulatory documents, data capture and monitoring plans
- May be responsible for reporting/completion of Serious Adverse Events and/or safety log as defined per protocol as they occur and completion of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and sponsor forms in accordance with GCP guidelines.
- Communicates with sponsors, monitors, research personnel to ensure all aspects of study compliance.
- Performs ad hoc duties as assigned
BA or BS completed by June 2020, minimum GPA 3.0. Scientific concentration preferred but not required.
1-2 years relevant work, volunteer or school experience
Clinical or basic science laboratory preferred but not required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- EPIC and REDCap software knowledge preferred but not required. Training is available.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple competing tasks.
- Self-directed with demonstrated ability to work in collaboration and cooperation with members of a multidisciplinary team
- Detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize deadlines
- Spanish: preferred, but not required.
- Haitian Creole: preferred, but not required.