Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Develop sustainability frameworks, design strategies, and plans for multiple scales of projects from individual buildings, infrastructure and civil projects to multi-building campuses and cities
- Advising clients on green building technology and implementing ratings systems (e.g. LEED, WELL, Fitwel, Passive House,
- Living Building Challenge, SITES, Envision, GRI Reporting)
- Developing sketches and digital illustrations of sustainable building concepts and presenting to external audiences
- Analysis of building design strategies for energy and sustainability impacts using 3D modeling and analysis software like Rhino, Grasshopper, and other plug-ins.
- Detailed building energy modeling using EnergyPlus, IES-VE and similar software
- Writing code for task automation, e.g using Python
- Researching architectural materials and technology, building services systems, green building and urban policy, social and human comfort issues, social equity, and climate change
- Developing Sustainability, ESG and Climate Action Plans for corporations, institutions and government agencies using SBTI and reporting frameworks such as the GRI Reporting and TCFD,
- Developing greenhouse gas emissions inventories for projects and operations
- Include language around energy, climate risk assessments, urban resilience, understanding green house gas emissions, environmental justice/equity , Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) reporting
- Currently pursuing Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Planning, Urban Design, Architecture or a closely related field
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- Proficient in use of design software, examples include such as Rhino, Grasshopper, Ladybug, Honeybee, DIVA, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite, Autocad, Revit etc.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Knowledge of LEED and other green building / infrastructure rating systems and/or ESG / Corporate Social Responsibility reporting
- Relevant internship or work experience [required for Grad only, not interns]
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work across multiple projects, and strong organization skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- LEED Green Associate or Accredited Professional
- Currently pursuing Master’s degree or higher in Mechanical, Architectural, Electrical, Building Science, Policy or other field in the built environment
- Familiarity with scripting languages, e.g. Python, R, etc.
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day.
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Cornell Tech
- SFO Zero Net Energy Plan & Sustainability Guidelines
- Apple Park Corporate Headquarters
- Portland International Airport Terminal Core
- Carbon Free Boston and Massachusetts Decarbonization Roadmap
- Los Angeles Green New Deal
- Apple Campus California Academy of Sciences
- Kroon Hall, Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
- Tippet Rise
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.