The American Enterprise Institute (AEI) is seeking a media relations associate to promote AEI scholars and their work in the fields of domestic policy (education, poverty, agriculture, housing, technology, and energy and environment policy).
The media relations associate reports to the director of media relations. Duties include:
- Promoting AEI’s domestic scholars and their work to selected media,
- Integrating the work of AEI domestic scholars into the national conversation,
- Building relationships with the scholars in your areas and with select media,
- Serving as the primary point of contact for education, poverty, agriculture, housing, technology, and energy and environment policy media requests,
- Arranging media briefings,
- Drafting pitches and releases,
- Distilling complex policy issues into shorter formats
- Promoting and facilitating media coverage of conferences and events,
- Tracking metrics, and
- Working with the communications team on special projects.
This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex policy material into clear and straightforward prose. Candidates must have a keen interest in policy and must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks in a frequently busy and demanding environment. Experience with deadlines and related work experience are preferred. Strong applicants will have existing contacts among print and online journalists, reporters, producers, and editors from national news bureaus, including TV and radio networks and cable news. The ideal candidate must also have the ability to think strategically and plan comprehensive media outreach. A bachelor’s degree in history, English, or political science is preferred.
We offer a stimulating and harmonious work environment and excellent benefits. Qualified applicants should submit an online application to www.aei.org/jobs, complete with a resume, cover letter, and 500-word writing sample on any topic.