The Oregonian/OregonLive is looking for a High School Sports Lead to lead our coverage. The right candidate will have a passion for sports and be responsible for generating dynamic, engaging digital content. We are looking for an organized, driven, creative digital journalist with strong writing and editing skills and the ability to work independently. A knack for identifying strong feature, trend and enterprise story ideas is essential.
This position includes reporting as well as planning and editing coverage, as the coordinator works with our network of freelance writers and photographers. The position also includes night and weekend work. We are a digital news organization where experimentation and flexibility are a must.
A good candidate for this opportunity has:
- A degree in Journalism, Communications, or commensurate experience
- A demonstrated ability to make coverage decisions through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens
- Strong news judgment, journalism ethics, and reporting and writing ability
- Experience working in breaking news situations; an understanding of the standards and philosophy of real-time news iteration
o Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience through various platforms, including audio, social media and newsletters
o The ability and desire to remain abreast of industry advances and to proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
- The ability to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Experience with web-based content management systems and SEO best practices
- Good communication and problem-solving capabilities; unflappable in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and successful experience managing others
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Oregonian Media Group is the most trusted source for news and information in Oregon and Southwest Washington. A digitally focused company, Oregonian Media Group provides content when and where readers want it – online, on smartphones and on tablets – through OREGONLIVE and a range of digital products. As the largest media company in the state, Oregonian Media Group is also advertisers’ strongest media partner, with an innovative suite of products to help them connect with their best customers.
Oregonian Media Group is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.