NJ Advance Media is seeking a Culture, Identify and Diversity reporter dedicated to telling the stories of a diverse range of New Jerseyans; illuminating the state’s complicated history and challenging present; and exploring the ways in which race and identity inform the news of the day.
This reporter will amplify the voices of people who identify within a marginalized group and help us reach new audiences and communities with our coverage.
The ideal candidate will be someone comfortable writing both features and breaking news, and with an interest in the way race and identity intersect with all aspects of contemporary life, from social justice and politics to food and entertainment.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field required
- A minimum of two years in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required, preferably including experience in culture and identity reporting
- An ability to cultivate new sources, especially in communities that have gone historically underrepresented, and drive coverage that differentiates our organization from competitors
- Possession of a clear and engaging writing style
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- A demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- A proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- An ability to work collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters
- A willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.