The Staten Island Advance/SILive.com is seeking a web-savvy business reporter to generate engaging and dynamic digital content as a member of our Community News team. The person in this role will have a strong focus on covering businesses and development projects on Staten Island
We are looking for a journalist energized by covering business-related issues, real estate and development in New York City’s Staten Island borough.
The work requires a reporter who is comfortable in a range of situations, from touring a new project site to analyzing the local housing market. This reporter needs to also be confident in building a wide network of sources, from business owners to real estate agents to local elected officials.
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. In this position, you will be part of a dynamic and inclusive team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies.
Your success will come from producing news stories while driving revenue and meeting audience demand for immediacy, depth and engagement. You’ll be supported by our leadership team, your colleagues, and our commitment to provide resources for your successful journalism career.
For this job, you must:
- Have a strong reporting and writing ability
- Bring the skills to dig up and/or investigate stories around important issues
- Understand the standards and philosophy of real-time news, including incremental and frequent posting
- Be comfortable working under pressure in deadline-driven situations
- Be a builder of relationships who can connect with anyone from the mayor of New York to the residents of Midland Beach
- Have the ability to execute creative storytelling ideas, such as photos and video, data visualization and social media fluency
- Be confident and competent when working independently
- Be results-oriented and understand how to use statistical data to inform editorial decisions
- Care deeply about local news and online journalism, and the role of community engagement in both
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- Degree in Journalism or Communications or related field
- Minimum 1 year of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging an active digital audience
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated ability with producing and editing multimedia
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Ability to work remotely
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings
- Knowledge of Staten Island’s issues, key players and geography a plus
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
The Staten Island Advance Media Group offers a comprehensive suite of print and digital advertising solutions to generate more leads, build your brand awareness and ultimately grow your business. As the largest, most trusted news source of relevant news and information on Staten Island, we make it easy to reach the customers your business needs to grow.
Staten Island Media Group is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.